Handgun caliber for bear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Of the 4 listed, which would you choose for bear defense in mid-June Montana?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Definitely. I would also have it in chest rig, and run at least a box through it of the hot stuff before the trip.

Also get a bell to hang off your bag and bear spray. Shooting a bear in a national park even in self defense is going to come with some problems if caught by a ranger.
I would like the chance to defend my actions to humans after surviving a bear attack, even if I'm not wearing a bell lol.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anecdotally I have heard .357 is a bit light for bear, at least in the northern state that had black bear. 10 mm has been mentioned numerous times in strings and I know of one person who used one to hunt in Africa. Be curious though as to what ammo one should use with a 10 mm...

Last edited:

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anecdotally I have heard .357 is a bit light for bear, at least in the northern state that had black bear. 10 mm has been mentioned numerous times in strings and I know of one person who used one to hunt in Africa. Be curios though as to what ammo one should use with a 10 mm...
Buffalo Bore in 220gr hardcast would be my suggestion.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m going against the grain here, but I would carry the S&W 66 loaded with some hot 357 ammo. Not saying it’s the right choice, but it would be my choice.

Given the choices, if I were to go the 10mm route, I would carry the RIA 1911, because though I’ve tried several times, I can’t get comfortable with the grip size of a G20 or 21. :anyone:

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
10mm glock, good combination of weight, capacity and penetration. I know a few people from or in Montana and 10mm block seems to be the modern standard. In western WA my trail gun was .40, but grizzly are rare. Also growing up my friends mom took out a black bear with a 9. Ultimately the most dangerous animal in the woods walks on 2 legs.

Glacier NP is amazing though,(and maybe too crowded for wildlife) I highly recommend reserving a spot on the Road to the Sun. Perhaps the most amazing drive of my life.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bud, Coors or Miller?
It's Montana so the choice is Kokanee or Rainer

1672166692641.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom