Handgun caliber for bear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Of the 4 listed, which would you choose for bear defense in mid-June Montana?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

j99tc88

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lived in Alaska for six years in the 80’s. Lots of stories up there. 44 with jacketed hollow points didn’t seem to get enough penetration. They always recommend solids. I know ammo has come along way and the bears may not be quite as big as those in Alaska but 44 or 10mm with heavy solids would be my choice.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of your choices.....10mm, but no Glocks for me. I've owned a couple over the years but not for very long. Can't stand the way they feel in hand or the trigger.

I've spent most of my summers in the mountains for the last 50 yrs or so. Most have been in Colorado because we lived there for a number of years. Some have been in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. I used to love to hunt elk and spent many nights in make shift bowhunting camps in several wilderness areas of Colorado. At the time you could not legally carry a handgun but I always did. I've carried revolvers and semi autos in various calibers but the favorite has always been either a 1911 (early years) or my SIG P220 (ever since.) If I didn't have my .45 cal P220 I would now probably have a P220 in 10mm. I just like the platform. I still carry it to the woods and mountains but don't do much hiking at my age. I carry Underwood 230 grain +P ball in it. When it's big bear country I have no concerns. Glacier is a favorite area. Have fun!

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You’ll be in the middle of the last frontier. It has to be the .45 colt.
Yet no one is voting for that option.

Here’s an interesting video on YouTube about the subject. Auto loader vs revolver vs single action. Not an absolute comparison to what I have available, but the second video kinda makes one think.

The second part is here:

Latest posts

Top Bottom