handloaded 5.56 ammo not extracting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CroatGoat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I made my first handloads of 5.56 ammo tonight. I put them in my rifle to make sure they would chamber properly; they did, but when i pulled the CH back on my AR to cycle the next round to make sure they would cycle, the round in chamber would not extract. The next round would still try to chamber, causing a jam which I was able to clear NP. Factory ammo has no problem cycling. I want to make sure they cycle properly before taking to range. Any ideas?

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you checked with a comparator to make sure they're in Saami specs and the same length as your factory loads from shoulder? Check fwd assist with loaded round to see if bolt is hanging before going into full battery or if they're too short the extractor might not be getting a good purchase on rim. Just thinking out loud... oh and double check primers are flush or just below rim surface.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess my question would be are the rounds in the chamber Stuck? Do you have to use a cleaning rod to knock them back out, or just fall out when you get the "jam" cleared?

Latest posts

Top Bottom