Hard Chrome names please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can apply HC to aluminum, you just have to apply electroless nickel first. I dunno if many places do it anymore though, too much trouble and there are better finishes out there.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can apply HC to aluminum, you just have to apply electroless nickel first. I dunno if many places do it anymore though, too much trouble and there are better finishes out there.
Effectively the HC is going onto the electroless nickel so it could work. Don't know why you'd want to do that though. As JD8 says, lots of other better finishes out there that would end up being less costly.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Effectively the HC is going onto the electroless nickel so it could work. Don't know why you'd want to do that though. As JD8 says, lots of other better finishes out there that would end up being less costly.

Right, mainly this was done before all the wonder finishes were available and now some people just think HC is the best. APWCorgan used to do Sigs all day long IIRC.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

It's done all the time in the aerospace industry. If you need the specific properties of the coating you do what it takes. Flash copper, nickel, etc.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who has replied. Being this is a 39-2 I want economical, the collector value was killed when someone cold blue it. I'm now thinking of a ceracote on the frame and upper controls, and sending the slide and lower controls in for a hard chrome job.

JJ Hiryuu

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used these guys for an HK P7. Nice matte chrome. They can do aluminum frames too with a nickel coat first.

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/

Congrats on the 39-2 as well! I just recently got one myself. Was in pretty rough shape in a spot on the slide. Ended up doing a home brew electrolysis tank to strip the rust and touching up with cold blue. It's got some pits but it looks good otherwise now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom