Have fun... I-44 widening in Lewis Corridor begins today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.1170kfaq.com/news/local/172072761.html

TULSA (FOX 23) - Get ready for some major road construction starting Monday morning.

Starting at 9:00, all north and southbound lanes of Lewis Avenue near the I-44 junction will be closed. Drivers and nearby business owners are bracing for big problems.

Reverend JD Campbell makes working out a priority. He’s a member of Dr. Frank’s Gym at 51st and Lewis and works out five days a week.

"Since I just turned 76, I want to keep my body in shape so I can live just a little bit longer,” says Campbell.

With the fourth and final phase of the I-44 widening project between Riverside and Yale starting Monday, it has him thinking of a different way to get to his daily workout.

"I got an alternate plan because I have to come down Harvard and come up 51st to Lewis and turn into the shopping center,” he says.

Right next door at the Midtown Tag Agency, owner Kerrie Fenimore is wondering what the construction will do to her business.

"I’m concerned about a lot of customers switching to another tag office and not coming back,” she says.

Right now, she’s hoping for the best but planning for the worst.

"It could force us to lay somebody off and have to cut somebody’s hours or something like that and just keep a few of us here to keep it going,” she says.

Detours will direct traffic to the I-44/Peoria and I-44/Harvard interchanges.
The nearly 40 million dollar project is expected to last 20 months, but there are incentives to finish early.

Once the project is complete, the new interstate will shift to the south of the existing highway and widen I-44 to six lanes between Peoria and Harvard Ave.

Drivers can expect lane and ramp closures throughout the project, and are urged to plan ahead by checking the Traffic Advisories section of www.okladot.state.ok.us.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like they could focus all the efforts on one construction area, get it done, then move on to the next project. Why tear up every major thoroughfare in Tulsa at the same time?

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is really going to be bad. I currently have several different remodels going in the very near vicinity of this intersection. It wa already a PITA, now will be nearly impossible.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like they could focus all the efforts on one construction area, get it done, then move on to the next project. Why tear up every major thoroughfare in Tulsa at the same time?

Your way makes sense so that pretty much assures it will never happen. although i wonder why not focus on one project and get it finished before starting another quite often.

work on the street outside where i live has gone on for several months and still not complete, going from 2 lanes each way before construction it will be one lane each way with huge sidewalks and a traffic circle instead of stoplight. some idiot thought it was a good idea though.

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I think the person who dreamed up this construction plan is probably the same person who thought it would be a good idea to combine the exit and entry ramps on and off the highways in Tulsa into the same lane. Nothing like having folks trying to slow down and exit in the same lane other folks are trying to speed up and merge into traffic.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
going to be bad!!!
and it's just getting started ... 20 months

betcha a few business may not make it.
base problem is construction plans don't seem to care about local traffic.

for instance when Peoria was throttled down. side streets normally allows folks to find an alternative routes. but first thing they did was close off access to all side streets. making a bad situation even worst. folks had no where to go ... traffic backed up for a mile.

naturally folks avoided that area like the plague. a lot of business almost closed down.

my favorite Chinese restaurant at 51st Peoria went from a bustling place with a full staff to a skeleton crew. was really worried they would close down, but they made it.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

More fun that way. Double the fun again if you shut off all the lights at night, especially on interchanges. You know, because we need to save money.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Your way makes sense so that pretty much assures it will never happen. although i wonder why not focus on one project and get it finished before starting another quite often.

work on the street outside where i live has gone on for several months and still not complete, going from 2 lanes each way before construction it will be one lane each way with huge sidewalks and a traffic circle instead of stoplight. some idiot thought it was a good idea though.

Like them spending years (and ongoing) reworking the IDL, but leaving the actual interchange ramps one lane?

Latest posts

Top Bottom