HB 3354 - Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, with the weekend upon us, it can only help to use the off days and e mail/ call/ write our elected officials.
I'll be calling the NRA to see if they're going to do any more than they haven't already done.

Dang, so much for the levergun in scabbard on my Harley and matching "wild bunch" 1911 holster..... ;)

Don't waste your breath on the NRA! I called them on Monday and they "took a neutral stance"...you can read my post under this 2nd Amendment section. I've already canceled my NRA membership and joined the Gun Owners of America. The NRA is nothing more than a political union looking out for nobody but themselves. The NRA had the chance to endorse HB3354 to restore the liberties to us....but the intentionally did NOTHING! The NRA has misled their members that have trusted them to defend the 2nd Amendment! The NRA can be blamed for this veto along with the Oklahoma Troopers Association that doesn't think we Okies are to be trusted with a firearm.

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

onwmed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Eh....here's my semi coherent letter to the Governor. I'm tired and grumpy....it probably shows.

I'm not sure if anyone wants to use this, but here it is. This is a 3 minute letter...so, no long term thought has been put into this. Use it at your own risk. I'm not promoting use of this letter....it's just my current expression.

Governor Henry,

I had a sinking feeling that you would veto HB 3354 in the late afternoon of Friday May 14th. Sadly, I was right. After 40 other states have approved similar legislation, including states with fewer standards than are currently required by Oklahoma CCW guidelines...it makes me scratch my head and wonder why this legislation wasn't signed into law. I understand that you need to "follow" party lines and adhere to what D.C. thinks you should do, but I never thought that it would actually have influence on your interpretation of the constitution. Mr. Governor, so many other free states in our union have clearly demonstrated how responsible people can be trusted with rights (not privileges) given to them by the constitution, yet you see it fit to further limit these given rights.

Governor Henry, you, at one point had the true faith of the Oklahoman that these rights would be restored, not given. I'm afraid that this good faith is in extreme danger of falling out of reach. Now is the time for you to remedy this potential problem for the sake of the people that elected you (and the majority of State Congress that approved this legislation.)

I urge you to listen to the majority of the people in this state and put partisan politics to rest while considering this legislation that would restore some of our rights given by the constitution.

Sincerely,

ME.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I sent this letter to a few NRA email addresses yesterday:

I would think that, as the most powerful (read, well funded) gun rights organization in the United States, the NRA would support all of its members in all of the States. However, this silly, little assumption appears to be quite wrong.

In Oklahoma, a bill was passed recently by the state legislature that would allow open carry by those in possession of CCW licenses. While we citizens (many of whom are NRA members and contributors) work the phones, Governor Brad Henry’s office teeters on the brink of a veto. It’s at this time, near the very end of this arduous battle, that the NRA delivered us all a shock. When asked why the NRA hasn’t taken any kind of stance through this long process, the response by an NRA-ILA staffer was, “the NRA is taking a neutral stance on this legislation until Governor Henry announces his decision”.

Are you kidding? Completely ignoring such a potentially large step forward is reprehensible! We members rely on the NRA to take a stand in favor of freedom in fights like these. Your organization’s self acknowledged invisibility on this issue is highly disappointing, to say the least. There are many here in Oklahoma that are being forced to second-guess their membership investments. Why give to an organization that ignores us when we need them the most?

Thank You,
blah blah blah

buckeye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My letter to the (soon to be ex-) governor:

Mr Henry,

I am sorely disappointed that you vetoed this bill. I am also hesitant to call your explanation a "rationale" as it clearly does not deserve that descriptor. The act and even the words "open carry" couldn't be a more literal enhancement of our 2nd Amendment protections, that we would bring the bearing of arms into such public awareness and recognize Oklahoma's long standing acceptance of armed citizens. Instead, you've chosen to hide in the fearful view of guns as purely and solely devices of malfeasance, things to be shunned and hidden away, lest their visibility erode our flimsy sense of security. "Law enforcement officials" I assume reflects the opinion of the OSTA as no other law enforcement groups that I'm aware of have issued an opinion on the matter. I find their argument specious. Surely their training in distinguishing between criminals and ordinary citizens extends beyond the question, "Who has a gun visible?" It seems to me that concealed guns would pose more of a danger to law enforcement - and that criminals are far less likely to open carry than ordinary citizens - for patently obvious reasons. I presume this same ill-founded officer safety argument was presented before the passage of the SDA; yet now it returns on crutches. They may also like to check into the definition of "brandishing" - it does not mean what they think it means.

Have new businesses and industries flocked to the haven of Oklahoma, safely tucked away from the 44 states that currently permit open carry? I think not - in fact, we mildly suffer the opposite in that regard. It's laughable to assert that open carry has anything but the most negligible impact on those decisions.

"...Oklahoma’s image as a safe, friendly state with a great quality of life..." We'd all love this to be true, but I think you'd be unpleasantly shocked at the nation's general opinion of our State. Oklahoma unfortunately ranks very poorly in many national ratings of health care, poverty, methamphetamine production, education, etc. We know different - that Oklahoma is nevertheless a friendly state indeed with a great quality of life and it is in part our sturdy nature and fierce independence, accepting of a healthy and well-informed gun culture, that makes it so. Moreover, most Okies I know couldn't give a damn how the rest of the country views us. Are you so out of touch with the common folk to have lost that understanding?

Every point in your explanation is quickly revealed as vaporous and unsupportable under just a little critical examination. We are left with only the sad truth that you don't have the gumption to say openly - that you vetoed this bill because you just don't like it. Many gun enthusiasts take very little stock in the NRA's ratings of government officials, and today's disappointment validates their concerns. This is a most unfortunate coda to your two terms serving our home state and I will be sure to vote for whichever candidate you do not endorse. The Legislature has my full support in overriding the veto and I will make it clear to my representatives how I expect them to vote.

Thank you for your time,
(Buckeye)

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my letter:

gov henry,
I have never voted straight party ticket in all my life, but after you have thwarted every pro-gun measure put before you this year I just might start...

further more it has come to my attention and is now my personnel opinion that you stink.

signed,

registered voter

just kidding but it made me feel better to type it anyway....

taymoor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My letter to representative Williams (from my district)

Representative Williams:

I am writing you in regards to HB3354. Although you voted nay on the bill before its veto by Governor Henry, I implore you to reconsider your vote during the attempted congressional override. As a practicing voter, I appreciate politicians who choose the well-being and will of their constituents over the precedents of party lines. Hopefully since the time of your first nay vote you may have discussed the topic with those who voted you into your honorable position. Unfortunately, Governor Henry based his vote on false beliefs and misleading information. The 44 other states who have implemented open carry have not experienced any of the social ills of which Governor Henry warns. He warns of law enforcement officers confusing citizens and criminals, however the distinction will be no different than the status quo of concealed carry. Also, Governor Henry used rhetoric in his explanation that offended many Oklahomans. I recommend that you read this short article for a further explanation for what the rhetoric to which I refer: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...5d14-Oklahoma-governor-vetoes-Open-Carry-bill

The passage of this bill is a top priority to me and many of your other constituents. I ask that you help us with the passage of the bill and in return I can promise you will see the return during your reelection campaign. There are over 11000 people who signed the petition for open carry. Being an active citizen, socialite, and small business owner in Stillwater, I know that there is overwhelming support for HB3354 here. We need you now Representative Williams. Please help us make a gain in our rights (not privileges).

Thank you,

Taymoor

pktrkt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sent letters to my Rep. who voted against it, and this is his first answer.

I have contacted the Highway Patrol and all my sheriffs and police chiefs in my district and they are all against it! I then called friends of mine who have concealed permits, I had 11 no's before someone said yes to open carry. And for the record there is 24 states with open carry!

I sent another letter explaining that there was 40 + with some kind of open carry and here was his response.

Actually I voted against it because the senate put an amendment on it that stated that an enforcement officer could not ask a person who his open carrying if they had a permit! That would allow felons and illegal aliens to be able to carry with NO restrictions! That is not good! Sorry if I disappoint you. Brian

Looks like we gonnna get a new rep in November....

Latest posts

Top Bottom