HB 3354 - Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nik

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your opinion... but considering what goes on "off-the-air" (as in NOT in the chamber), I don't think they are overpaid at all.

It's one thing to read every bill before voting on it. It just ain't gonna happen unless they are willing to let their work become their mistress.

It's another to form an opinion of it and claim "facts" that aren't even there and then show the world your ignorance.

No ignorance on my part. I am well aware of what goes on outside the house and senate chambers since I have three close friends that serve in the legislature (one in the senate and two in the house).

Despite your view that they are fairly compensated, I strongly disagree and I voice that to my buddies frequently. Oklahoma has one of the highest paid part-time legislatures in the country (number 11 overall including states that actually are considered full-time) and that is only accounting for base salary. Let's not forget their per diem allowance, along with the pension benefits that are easily accumulated upon a successful re-election. In addition, the committee chairman and leadership posts get additional money added to their base salary.

There are some in both bodies that are competent and geniunely work hard for the citizens of Oklahoma, but it is laughable to think that they should receive the pay and benefits that they get. They work way less and get paid more than many Oklahomans. It is called public "service" for a reason, but in recent times, this term seems loose in its application.

Moving onto the reading of bills, as a representative in our government, they should be expected to read the laws that they subject the citizens to. It is unfortunate that you are willing to accept mediocrity from them.

For comparison sake, Oklahoma state legislators make over 5 times more per year than Texas state legislators. Be aware, Texas meets every other year instead of every single year; however, this still illustrates the great disparity in our lucky Okie politicians.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No ignorance on my part. I am well aware of what goes on outside the house and senate chambers since I have three close friends that serve in the legislature (one in the senate and two in the house).

Despite your view that they are fairly compensated, I strongly disagree and I voice that to my buddies frequently. Oklahoma has one of the highest paid part-time legislatures in the country (number 11) and that is only accounting for base salary. Let's not forget their per diem allowance and the pension benefits that are easily accumulated upon a successful re-election. In addition, the committee chairman and leadership posts get additional money added to their base salary.

There are some in both bodies that are competent and geniunely work hard for the citizens of Oklahoma, but it is laughable to think that they should receive the pay and benefits that they get. They work way less and get paid more than many Oklahomans. It is called public "service" for a reason, but in recent times, this term seems loose in its application.

Moving onto the reading of bills, as a representative in our government, they should be expected to read the laws that they subject the citizens to. It is unfortunate that you are willing to accept mediocrity from them.

The ignorance comment wasn't directed at you. It was directed at your rep who obviously formed their opinion without even reading it. I should have been more clear. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I do not think it is acceptable for them to not read every bill that they vote on, but I also understand that there is not enough time to do such a thing so they rely on outside opinions that are quite likely as uninformed as they are if not more uninformed.

After reading S.A. 2786 to HR 3594 in Congress (the 2000 page Obamacare bill), I understand the the Congresscritters having not read it. I did a couple of posts on my blog dealing with just a few topics from that bill. I barely got through the surface, and that was after two days of finding the uncodified acts that made up the laws being amended, splicing the changes together, forming one opinion, then finding something else 200 pages down dealing with another topic that changed part of the foundation of said opinion, reforming an opinion, rinsing and repeating as necessary. I almost feel sorry for the Congresscritters until I consider that issues like that are of their own making.

Fortunately, we have it easy in Oklahoma. A bill that amends current law must have the current codified statutes with strikes to show what is being removed and underlines to show what is being added. (I like Arizona's better... it's color coded.) That said, I do not expect them to read absolutely every bill, but I do expect them to perform a little bit of due diligence before forming an opinion one way or the other. Those who don't should be called home as soon as possible.

Nik

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh ok, I follow you and agree with your overall assessment.

The ignorance comment wasn't directed at you. It was directed at your rep who obviously formed their opinion without even reading it. I should have been more clear. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I do not think it is acceptable for them to not read every bill that they vote on, but I also understand that there is not enough time to do such a thing so they rely on outside opinions that are quite likely as uninformed as they are if not more uninformed.

After reading S.A. 2786 to HR 3594 in Congress (the 2000 page Obamacare bill), I understand the the Congresscritters having not read it. I did a couple of posts on my blog dealing with just a few topics from that bill. I barely got through the surface, and that was after two days of finding the uncodified acts that made up the laws being amended, splicing the changes together, forming one opinion, then finding something else 200 pages down dealing with another topic that changed part of the foundation of said opinion, reforming an opinion, rinsing and repeating as necessary. I almost feel sorry for the Congresscritters until I consider that issues like that are of their own making.

Fortunately, we have it easy in Oklahoma. A bill that amends current law must have the current codified statutes with strikes to show what is being removed and underlines to show what is being added. (I like Arizona's better... it's color coded.) That said, I do not expect them to read absolutely every bill, but I do expect them to perform a little bit of due diligence before forming an opinion one way or the other. Those who don't should be called home as soon as possible.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
unless we all get with our legislators and let then know we want them to override the governers veto this thread dont mean much...:patriot:

We need to first get the bill back on the floor for the veto to be overridden by vote.
Does anyone know who would do that? The speaker of the house? Who decides if a vetoed bill will be voted on again for override?
Whoever it is, we need to let them know that failure to do this will result in financial support of their opponent, not just for this race but for their next political race, whatever it may be.
Money talks.
Anyone know the person in the House who will do this?

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is an excellent action item & suggested letter we all should send.
It's also very educational for many of us on this forum. THis was part of an email sent by proponents of OC.

IMMEDIATE ACTION ITEM:

To find YOUR STATE legislators, go to http://www.capwiz.com/nra/state/main/?district=05&azip=73003&state=OK&view=myofficials and enter your mailing address.

Once you identify YOUR state representative's and senator's names, copy their email addresses from http://www.okhouse.gov/Members/MemberListing.aspx & http://www.lsb.state.ok.us and use it in your email:

Suggested Email Message:
--

SUBJECT: Please vote to override the open carry bill veto!

Dear Representative & Senator:

As a constituent, I urge you to override Governor Henry's unjustified veto of HB 3354 & make Oklahoma the 44th open carry state!

Open carry is a valuable individual right, complements concealed carry, and has not endangered police officers in the 43 states that allow it, including in America's great cities, from Atlanta, to Richmond, to Pittsburgh, to Toledo, to Seattle, and beyond.

In fact, police officers in Georgia have recently reported that open carry deterred a violent armed robbery. See http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atla...8-Open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-in-Kennesaw

Moreover, rank and file Oklahoma police officers in the field already know what a recent FBI study concluded - that even in open carry states, violent criminals always CONCEAL their guns and don't ever wear holsters. See Anthony Pinizzotto, et al., Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation's Law Enforcement Officers, FBI (2006) (finding that violent criminals carefully "conceal" their guns and "eschew holsters"), summarized at http://www.forcesciencenews.com/home/detail.html?serial=62.

As you know, in most states, no permit is required to open carry at age 18, see maps at http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html & http://www.opencarry.org/age.html, and this usually includes both US citizens and legal resident aliens alike.

But even after you sign HB 3354, Oklahoma will continue to have some of the most strict handgun carry controls in the United States because the bill only legalizes open carry for persons who are (1) US citizens, (2) over 21 years of age, and, (3) also already holding the Oklahoma Conceal Carry Permit. These are the same trustworthy Oklahomans carrying handguns in public throughout Oklahoma every day.

Over 12,000 Oklahomans have signed the open carry petition. I join them in urging you to override Governor Henry's ill conceived veto of HB 3354.

This issue is very important to me and many other people. Please let me know what you are going to do.

Sincerely,

YOUR NAME
YOUR ADDRESS

marvinvwinkle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just sent message to both my Senator and Rep. We'll see if they really are concerned about the Constitution and individual rights. I will follow up with calls early Monday and I think all Oklahomans should contact them whether they agree with the bill or not. Our rights are being taken away, one step at a time and in some cases a big jump.:thanku:

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
while we are all sending letters we should also send letters demanding over ride consideration for the firearms freedoms act. that henry just vetoed the week before... I cannot remember the bill but if someone will post up the bill number I will fire off a few letters to support that as well....

Latest posts

Top Bottom