Health care reform and its battles draw similar lines to the civil wa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muleman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What happens, happens. As one who believes things written of the future in the Good Book (I kinda fail at following it though :selfangel ), it's all gonna end someday anyways.

Pretty much how I feel. Most people joke about, or flat-out refuse to aknowledge, the storm that is brewing because they have no idea whatsoever what they will do when the time comes.

Myself, I say the sooner the better. I'm not looking forward to a fight but if there's gonna be one then let's get it on. Having a strong faith in that "Good Book" you mentioned will sure give a person peace of mind, knowing that what is gonna happen is definately gonna happen, like it or not.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Health care reform is needed, this atrocity of Obama's is not reform, it simply forces everyone into a broken system. You don't need medical insurance to cover your regular doctor visits. We need regulated fees for office visit, standard meds, tests and proceedures. What everyone should have is major medical insurance to cover serious illness and accidents.

Every child in the country should have free access to medical care, once you hit the 18-25 range, things need to change.

Here's a suggestion. Why don't you move to Canada or Massachusetts so you can partake of such a system. Being that I'm from Canada originally with first hand experience with Canada's "utopian" healthcare system... I'll take what we've got down here in the US any day of the week.

Healthcare is a service... the same as car care. Granted it has it's problems which if you go back in time result from government's intrusion into the marketplace. The moment government get's involved in regulating car care you can guarantee it'll be FUBAR'd as well.

Nowhere in the text of the Constitution is healthcare an enumerated power of the federal government. Massachusetts had the right to implement healthcare as it's a state issue. Americans need to stop turning to the federal government to solve problems and instead turn to the local governments & state legislatures as the Founders intended which promotes good competition between the states and communities as a way of enticing people to live in those states and communities.

If you don't have a copy of the DoI and the Constitution in your house I suggest you get them and study them. Read the Federalist Papers and the Anti-Federalist Papers as well as a copy of the Articles of Confederation for side by side comparison between it and the Constitution. I also recommend getting a book called The Original Constitution: What is Actually Said and Mean which will give today's modern citizen an understanding of the actual meaning of the text of the Constitution based on word meaning and eighteenth-century law. Too many on this forum and not on this forum are ignorant of the Founders and Framers of the Constitution. Only through educating yourself by your own initiative will you fully comprehend the way our nation is supposed to operate under the law.

Now, if this dumbass former Canadian can do this research and studying of his adopted country, I'd think some of you Americans could do it. I'm just sayin'...

Cowhide

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Myself, I say the sooner the better. I'm not looking forward to a fight but if there's gonna be one then let's get it on

be very careful what you pray for. If the Constitutionalists start a fight or shooting war if you will, we will be crushed along with the Constitution. Give the communists enough rope and they will hang themselves. The leftist are more nervous than the right. The leftists have their 100 year old dream right in the palm of their hands but they see it slipping away as we the constitutionalists push back. When they panic, the leftists will resort to violence and then will be exposed to the entire country. We must keep the pressure on without violence. It is our only chance in my humble opinion

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much how I feel. Most people joke about, or flat-out refuse to aknowledge, the storm that is brewing because they have no idea whatsoever what they will do when the time comes.

Gimme a break. The whole spiel about "tension being palpable" a "breaking points being reached" is lawlable.

Go decade by decade through the 20th century. Two things that come to mind is the civil rights movement and the Vietnam War. Then you have the cold war, energy crisis, gas shortages etc, etc. Now those were some real storms brewing. The tension brewing in America towards the end of Vietnam makes anything now look like a joke. Tension is nothing new, and it's definitely not worse. How soon we forget.

There is no public "storm" brewing that's even comparable to any of that. If you watch cable news 24/7 and read political blogs all day at work, it might seem that way. YMMV, I just don't feel we are in the beginning of a civil war, or that the Arizona shooting is the Archduke Ferdinand of our time. I don't see public tension reaching alarming rates, if anything I see complacency interspersed with paranoia.

Cowhide

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
comparing the archduke and the Arizona shooting is silly, but, is there any doubt the left tried to portray it that way? Is there a storm brewing? maybe maybe not. I will say I bet there were as many guns, ammo and survival gear bought in the last 3 years than in all of the storms you sited combined. Is that paranoid? I think it is a healthy outlet. Nothing wrong with being prepared. Someday a storm will come.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The canadian system is certainly flawed, I don't want a canadian system either. I want a regulated system for basic costs, an advil should cost $10 at a hospital. My brother-in-law needed a cat scan, it was going to cost him $2k. His doc was able to get it down to $500. Does that make any sense to you? They do several scans each day, charging the insurance companies outrageous sums, which they pay at a discounted rate. so the hospitals push the costs up to make more money. its a vicous cycle. If you don't think that the US insurance system is broken, then you have blinders on and your head up your ass.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it goes far beyond just the insurance companies. The American public has been led to believe that they MUST have insurance, when in reality, all you really need is major medical coverage. If you are typical, healthy adult, you don't go to the doc very often. There is no reason to spend 250-1000 a month for a service that will otherwise cost you a couple of hundred a year. Pay for the doc visits out of your own pocket. Major medical or even a mid-level plan that takes care of expensive tests, etc would be much better.

The insurance companies are definitely part of the problem, malpractice insurance causes most doctors to over charge for their services, because it is so damn expensive. Hospitals overcharge because the insurance companies won't pay full price, so they jack up the bills to make more money. It all comes down to greed.

The insurance industry is regulated, but the medical care industry is not. You can charge $30 for an office visit or $300. There should be some standardized rules. Obviously that would be a difficult process, but I think that is true reform, not this crap we have now.

The pharma industry is even worse. They try to get you hooked on their drugs and charge ridiculous amounts. I have diabetes, I am uninsured. I pay for everything out of my own pocket. When I was diagnosed, the first thing my doc did was prescribe some daily meds. I took it once, it made me sick. I decided I was going to manage it with diet and excersize. I don't take the pills, I eat right. My glucose levels dropped to just above normal, which is what you find with a diabetic who is on meds. Medicine is not always the answer, lifestyle change is HUGE in most illnesses

I am not a huge regulation fan, but there are some things I believe should be regulated. All energy products should be regulated- electricity and natural gas/heating oil are heavily regulated, the only one that isn't is gasoline. It should be. The price of American oil and fuel should be regulated just like the other energy products are. It would have made a big difference, the economy would not have tanked if we had kept the oil companies from jacking up the fuel costs, that is what started it all back in 2004. largest profits in the history of oil, that should tell you something right there.

The medical industry should be heavily regulated as well. I don't think the price of a new car or TV should be regulated, but you need to see a doctor every once in a while, it should not cost you $200 for a basic check up.

I don't have all the answers, but I know that PACs and lobbyists are only out to get themselves rich. Politics should not play a role in the health care.

Latest posts

Top Bottom