Health care reform and its battles draw similar lines to the civil wa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have any numbers with sources to back this up? I'm seeing a lot of assertions but very little proof.

You want numbers? Oil companies = 666.

Yes, there is bad in the oil and gas industry. There is in every industry. But it always being the scapegoat for all our economic problems is ludicrous. It's especially funny in Oklahoma. If you have a job in Oklahoma, odds are likely you are directly or indirectly tied in with the industry.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not damning the entire industry, but you simply cannot forgive profiteering. Record profits, not just the numbers themselves, but the percentages, in the history of oil. EVER. Those profits are directly tied to the increase in fuel prices. Diesel is a byproduct of gasoline refinement, in the most basic terms, diesel is what is left over after the gasoline is siphoned off the top. Tar and some other heavy materials are on the very bottom, diesel sits above that, being heavier than gasoline. Why does it cost so much?

greed.

Domestic oil production is purposefully kept low to create a market for speculation and keep prices high. Our refineries use every possible excuse to reduce production. They have plenty of reserves on hand to make sure that the fuel is there to sell, at the premium price.

The oil lobby keeps Ethanol under it's thumb, because they know that ethanol is a cleaner and cheaper fuel source. Ask any hot rodder, they will tell you that you can make more power with less stress on the engine with ethanol, because it has a higher octane level. Ethanol burns cooler, so it takes a little more fuel, but you can make ethanol safely in your garage, just like you would make a sour mash. In fact, gasoline is added to ethanol so that is becomes undrinkable, it's basically booze. There are other issues with ethanol, it is corrosive to certain metals, but that is an easy fix, racers have been running alcohol and methanol for eons with the right parts.

Gasoline and diesel prices have been kept inflated to get money out of our pockets, there is no other reason.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Diesel is a byproduct of gasoline refinement, why does it cost so much?

Demand.
Taxes.
Environmental regulation changes (low sulphur).

How did ?

"Health care reform and its battles draw similar lines to the civil war"

become a promotional advertisement for the Ethanol Lobby? :scratch:

I couldn't afford the gas to drive down to city hall and help defend it from the Marines, so I changed the subject. :(

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing.

It might have been on page 2, where you explain how price controls on fuel could have prevented the economic downturn, without taking into account or addressing the other factors that go along with it. And the fact that oil is sold on the global market, we burn almost 3 times what we pull daily, what we have is not cheap to get (but cheap is what you're willing to pay for it). Again, the only way to decrease dependence on foreign oil is to use less oil. Shameless plug = natural gas.:thumb:

But if you like, we can go back to medical care.

The medical industry should be heavily regulated as well. I don't think the price of a new car or TV should be regulated, but you need to see a doctor every once in a while, it should not cost you $200 for a basic check up.

What should the cap be on a basic checkup, and will there be an effect on quality or availability of health care as a result? If so, how do we address those issues?

Honestly I think a single payer system would have less problems and be less intrusive than your plan. Which seems to be modeled off the Radiohead "pay what you want" album.

ETA: I guess that's still off-topic too (but you brought it up also). I keep forgetting the topic was our new Civil War. Sorry. I really have nothing more to say about that. Except "lawl".

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually don't have as much problem with a single payer system than obamacare forcing us into a system that is broken. Again, my biggest problem with calling obamacare reform is that there is no actual reform, just forcing people to pay for something that they don't want. A single payer system means you have free access to health care, no copays, no insurance costs, etc. Yes, you have to pay taxes for it, but it would still be less than what you would be paying to fund an insurance industry that rapes everyone, much like the oil and gas industry.

For the record, I like CNG vehicles, I have looked into CNG conversion in the past. The problem is not enough fueling stations.

Latest posts

Top Bottom