Health care reform and its battles draw similar lines to the civil wa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All energy products should be regulated- electricity and natural gas/heating oil are heavily regulated, the only one that isn't is gasoline. It should be. The price of American oil and fuel should be regulated just like the other energy products are. It would have made a big difference, the economy would not have tanked if we had kept the oil companies from jacking up the fuel costs, that is what started it all back in 2004. largest profits in the history of oil, that should tell you something right there.

Wow. So who's going to pay the difference when oil on the global market is higher than the U.S. "regulated" price?

Cowhide

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Government regulations have caused every problem you describe.when did this vicious cycle in health care start? It was LBJ's great society. Before that few people had or needed health insurance. Medicare, medicaid and social security are all ponzi schemes. They are flat broke. why does it cost 20,000 per year to go to A state university? Because the government got into the school loan business. Every time the government tries to solve 1 problem it creates 10 more unintended problems. The whole war on poverty has been a dismal failure but your answer is more regulation, or more of the same. The free market works every time it is tried

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, the US has more than enough oil supply to feed all the US demand, we just have to drill the wells. Letting OPEC and the oil speculators run the market is half the problem.

And I am suggesting getting rid of health insurance all together and regulate the price of basic care. I am open to ideas.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, the US has more than enough oil supply to feed all the US demand, we just have to drill the wells.

No, we don't. And you want them to drill for it, and tell them how much you'll pay? How did that work out when we tried it after the '73 oil crisis? Current domestic consumption far exceeds domestic production, so price controls ain't gonna work. We're dependent on foreign oil until we stop using so damn much oil, period.

To quote a construction materials company owner I know "I had a builder call and try to tell me what HE was gonna pay ME for material. I told him I'm running a business, not playing a board game and if he doesn't want to pay my price then not to place any more orders."

The we could go into how natural gas and electricity are regulated, government assisted monopolies and gasoline is something you buy at the store, like soda.

And the "the economy wouldn't have crashed if not for high gas prices" is laughable.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, we don't. And you want them to drill for it, and tell them how much you'll pay? How did that work out when we tried it after the '73 oil crisis? Current domestic consumption far exceeds domestic production, so price controls ain't gonna work. We're dependent on foreign oil until we stop using so damn much oil, period.

...b-b-but drill baby drill :(

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...b-b-but drill baby drill :(
The Drill Baby Drill advocates demonstrate an embarrassing lack of knowledge about global market forces.(either that, or they are shills for the oil and NG industry)

When a barrel of oil is pumped out of alaska for example it doesn't go on the US market; It goes up for sale on the WORLD oil market.

In order to substantially affect the price of oil we have to drill enough to impact the total supply of oil consumed by the entire world.
And as RH said, we can't do that. It's not even close.

I am aware you know that, it's rhetorical.

:)

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"The price of American oil and fuel should be regulated just like the other energy products are. It would have made a big difference, the economy would not have tanked if we had kept the oil companies from jacking up the fuel costs, that is what started it all back in 2004. largest profits in the history of oil, that should tell you something right there." ~71buickfreak

Bakken Formation oil has started arriving in Cushing, where some say the facilities are at peak storage capacity. Appears to be plenty of supply.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All you have to do is look at the facts- Katrina hitting the gulf combined with the war in Iraq gave the oil companies the excuse they had been looking for to jack up oil prices. Refining gasoline is quite cheap in reality, and diesel is a byproduct of oil refining in general, but I digress.

Fule prices skyrocketed overnight, tripling everyone's fuel costs, it hit everyone, rich or poor. People couldn't afford to drive to work, much less take a trip out of town. The economy instantly began to suffer. People were spending money on fuel to get to work, they couldn't buy the other stuff they used to. Diesel prices started effecting delivery. In order to get the goods to the market, your shipping went up, so the prices went up. Not only did you gas bill triple, but your food costs went up. Jobs started getting cut because nobody was buying. Then people started losing their houses that they could barely afford in the first place because of Clinton's housing lending policies. The loans became toxic at a rate the market could not absorb. The housing bubble would have eventually burst anyway, but it probably would not have happened the way it did if the oil companies hadn't started gouging the American public.

Laughable? I don't think so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom