Hedge Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Considering planting a vine or creeper along with an arborvitae style tree instead of redoing a fence, as I’d prefer the greenery anyway. The fence I currently have is in the beginning stage of disrepair but it’s a 6’ chain link so it’s not like it’ll just rot away.

Any advice on hardy vine/creeper to plant that’ll grow quickly? And an inexpensive source of arborvitae or something similar that is not seedling size?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bois d’arc is a great choice. They’re native, grow fast, and were planted as hedges back in the day. Their wood is great for stuff too.

I’m gonna go against what @JEVapa said on this though, and say that trumpet vines are a horrible idea. About 10-30 years ago the previous owner of this house planted a few of those vines. The past 5 years before I started working on them they were left to grow as they please. They’ve taken over, destroying my wooden privacy fence, killing several trees/bushes, and making a royal mess of things. It has taken me a year and a half of digging, propane torches, stump killer, weed killer, land clearing herbicide, boiling water, cutting, running them over with a mower, and even literally salting the earth to beat them back to where they’re relatively manageable. They put out expansive roots and rhizomes that make them impossible to kill. When starting this process I packed 3 large rolling trash bins with these vines just cleaning up the back yard.

Trumpet vines are great if you want your kids, neighbors, or future owners of your property spitting on your grave though.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This mixed "wrong" will kill every tree and trumpet vine.
Spray the foliage or drill a large deep hole into the live tree and pour the wrong mix in.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-amine-400-2-4-d-weed-killer-1-gal
I repaired a fence for a lady that had the neatest bush growing along her fence.
I asked what it was as it looked familiar.
She told me it is a mulberry tree and I trained it to grow where I wanted it to grow.
None of it over 5 foot tall.
Looked very nice.

PM me for the wrong mix or I will just say you got a "50/50" chance of getting it right

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Will the Trumpet Vines run down a fence and stop? Or will they thicken and keep on thickening?

I ask this as the home we are remodeling and recently acquired has a 100ft chain link up against a 6ft Stockade and nothing else, no trees etc., and is mowed on both sides. This is our last home, making it as hands free as possible. Hence mowing all along that old chainlink and stockade. No weed eating needed or just lightly.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the trumpet vines being bad. Those suckers will take over your trees, they grow every where, climb every thing.

Trumpet vines will do everything he's asking, and then some
Truth. I guess trumpet vines are better described as “ground/landscape cover for overachievers”
This mixed "wrong" will kill every tree and trumpet vine.
Spray the foliage or drill a large deep hole into the live tree and pour the wrong mix in.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-amine-400-2-4-d-weed-killer-1-gal
I repaired a fence for a lady that had the neatest bush growing along her fence.
I asked what it was as it looked familiar.
She told me it is a mulberry tree and I trained it to grow where I wanted it to grow.
None of it over 5 foot tall.
Looked very nice.

PM me for the wrong mix or I will just say you got a "50/50" chance of getting it right
I have started to use that and a stump/vine killer concentrate mixed way too strong in my 2 gallon pump sprayer. Works like a charm. I think I use half a bottle of the stump killer and 20oz of that broadleaf weed killer.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will the Trumpet Vines run down a fence and stop? Or will they thicken and keep on thickening?

I ask this as the home we are remodeling and recently acquired has a 100ft chain link up against a 6ft Stockade and nothing else, no trees etc., and is mowed on both sides. This is our last home, making it as hands free as possible. Hence mowing all along that old chainlink and stockade. No weed eating needed or just lightly.
I haven’t found trumpet vines to stop growing for anything, or anywhere. I have them sprouting up in the middle of my lawn. Or garden. Or anywhere. Aside agent orange or napalm I can’t say I can see them stopping growing for anything.

One side of my yard has 4ft chain link against my neighbors 6ft stockade. Unless I keep the trumpet vines well watered with my above recipe of chemicals, they keep growing in there, and will destroy the fence. Prior to destroying everything g in that gap I had 4” diameter trumpet vines in there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom