Hedge Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t found trumpet vines to stop growing for anything, or anywhere. I have them sprouting up in the middle of my lawn. Or garden. Or anywhere. Aside agent orange or napalm I can’t say I can see them stopping growing for anything.

One side of my yard has 4ft chain link against my neighbors 6ft stockade. Unless I keep the trumpet vines well watered with my above recipe of chemicals, they keep growing in there, and will destroy the fence. Prior to destroying everything g in that gap I had 4” diameter trumpet vines in there.

Well the hunt continues for us. Thank you. I honestly had never herd of them.

I will add, if you want death. Look to Copper Sulfate. Granular and can be put in water like a rock salt am let breakdown to spray. Or drill stumps and toss in a spoonful, water and nature takes it course. Does no soil activity in stump roots, but a vine it will stagnant the soil for a few weeks.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well the hunt continues for us. Thank you. I honestly had never herd of them.

I will add, if you want death. Look to Copper Sulfate. Granular and can be put in water like a rock salt am let breakdown to spray. Or drill stumps and toss in a spoonful, water and nature takes it course. Does no soil activity in stump roots, but a vine it will stagnant the soil for a few weeks.
Maybe look at honeysuckle? It’s native, and I’ve never seen it get too crazy. Does grow well and smell nice.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
tordon will kill trumpet vine. it will also kill any near tree that puts roots under the trumpet vine.
What he said.

Or Remedy. It is a pretty good brush spray. It will kill a tree if you douse it good. But usually will just stunt larger trees back some. But works great for underbrush and small trees. I was always told Remedy is what power line companies and railroad uses on right of ways. I can’t verify that just what I was told. It’s what I used to kill poison ivy and other viney skin irritants.

The tordon works best if you take a spade bit in a cordless drill. Drill a hole close to the base in the trunk and squirt some in the hole. Next year you will be able to push it over by hand usually.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This mixed "wrong" will kill every tree and trumpet vine.
Spray the foliage or drill a large deep hole into the live tree and pour the wrong mix in.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-amine-400-2-4-d-weed-killer-1-gal
I repaired a fence for a lady that had the neatest bush growing along her fence.
I asked what it was as it looked familiar.
She told me it is a mulberry tree and I trained it to grow where I wanted it to grow.
None of it over 5 foot tall.
Looked very nice.

PM me for the wrong mix or I will just say you got a "50/50" chance of getting it right
Loves me some 2,4D for non grasses

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trumpet vine bad. I've got that stuff everywhere at my house. It's already killed one tree, and I've been fighting it for years now.

On the other hand, you might look at club, not running, bamboo.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Truth. I guess trumpet vines are better described as “ground/landscape cover for overachievers”
Don't take that I said trumpet vines are the best to meet his requirements to mean that I think they're the best choice. They require high maintenance too or you're in the position everyone is talking about.

Maybe look at honeysuckle? It’s native, and I’ve never seen it get too crazy. Does grow well and smell nice.
Honeysuckle is good...needs a little more care (not maintenance) and isn't as invasive as trumpet vines, but always looks good.

I prefer jasmine though, smells better and seems to attract more pollinators and maintenance is about the same as honeysuckle. I just don't know how it'll fare in OK. In NC, I planted it everywhere. I'll have to drop some plants next spring.

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a kid, a neighbor had honeysuckle between the sidewalk and the street. It was a good solid hedge of honeysuckle, too, maybe four feet deep by 15-20 feet wide by 2-3 feet tall. It did smell good, too.

If you want to keep people out, plant poison ivy, briars, and black locust...

Latest posts

Top Bottom