Help a newbie shooter with trigger control!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Growing up I was always told 70/30 then at cleet I was taught push/pull which I had good results with until recently. Not sure what changed but I have started shooting low and left. It's consistent though. Maybe I need to "watch more shows"....

I hear so many ways to shoot properly,... I dont even care anymore. Whatever gets me accuracy and consistency at a decent speed.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sitting at my desk trying this now... I'm getting weird looks haha.

When you do this, do you tilt your head to the right to lean your cheek against your shoulder?

Also, keep in mind that everyone is different. What works for me may not work your you. You'll learn the most by shooting your gun. I'd say it takes about 300 rounds to even get familiar with your gun and how it feels. After that you start to notice how you react to the recoil and what your grip is doing, ect.

About the hold forming a cheek weld with my arm thing. I'm not strict in doing that unless I'm shooting long distances. I'm a little more relaxed now and don't always tilt my head over with my shoulder up high to form the cheek weld with my arm. Anything 25 yards or more, however, I do tighten up a bit and tilt my head over to my arm up high.

There's an old guy on youtube named hickok45 who consistently can hit a target out 230 yards with various handguns. He did one with a Glock 23 and made me want to do it with mine. Couldn't come close till I changed to my new stance. Next time I'm out in my friend's house, I'll try to video tape it for proof :D

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Growing up I was always told 70/30 then at cleet I was taught push/pull which I had good results with until recently. Not sure what changed but I have started shooting low and left. It's consistent though. Maybe I need to "watch more shows"....

Nope, I really think you need to take the advice of people on an internet forum. Actual shooting is overrated, I can get all the practice I need on Call of Duty 4. For real life accuracy, you need to turn with your dominant side forward, lay you Glock Fotee on it's side, tilt your head and scream M@^%% F*&@# a lot. You will be amazed at the accuracy you will possess. :mean:

(No disrepect to the OP, just raggin on Josh. I know he understood, just wasn't sure if the OP thought it was a dig at them.)

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But I can't get a proper high thumbs hold on my PS3 controller and need help!?!?

In all seriousness I was taught how to shoot by some old school instructors and swat guys at my dads agency growing up and developed a lot of bad habits I'm still trying to break. Trigger reset being the hardest one. Push/pull really did work for me for 6+ years but now anything further out the 15 yards I really suffer and shoot low and left no matter how hard I try not to and mike is tired of putting different sights on my gun to remedy it lol. I can still shoot the occasional 100% on our qual but not with the regularity I used to.

So to the OP the best solution is to seek professional hands on training. Maybe I'll see you at TDSA in November for AP1.....

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard so much contradicting information regarding this. So with my shooting hand, do I grip hard or not?

NO!

Take a class TDSA's AP1 has been mentioned. I will mention it again. It is the best money and instruction you will ever get for $400 and 2 days of your time if you really want to learn.

I have taken both urban rifle 1 and AP 1 with them and will take more classes with them in the future.

Did I mention it is the best training money you will ever spend. Take the July class Marshall Is offering 20% off on. Yes it will be hotter than a mofo out there but it just adds one more element of stress that you will learn to overcome as a shooter.

Did I mention it is the best money you will ever spend?

Latest posts

Top Bottom