Help a newbie shooter with trigger control!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
With your grip remember your pushing forward with your shooting hand, and pulling back with your support hand, take up slack on the trigger, breath, and squeeze till it breaks!

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
disagree with the push/pull method.

Agree. Lock weak arm out and really point the weak hand thumb. I guess you could say,... "Lock the gun up using your weak hand/arm"

I dont know if its correct,... but the thumb, forearm, and bicep of my weak side are almost a perfect line. Before switching to this method, I locked my strong arm and was having consistency issues (I believe this was push/pull as my strong arm was locked while my weak arm was bent and pulling my strong hand back towards the body). Since migrating to what I described before,... no issues and accuracy and consistency has improved incredibly.

Of course, Im not a good source because I shoot anything less than a .45acp left handed, everything else right. (dont ask)

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is what helped me. Pull the trigger as slow as you possibly can until you can break the shot without disturbing the sights for ten times in a row at the beginning of the practice session. Then worry about speeding up if that is a concern for you. A little mind trick that an old bullseye shooter taught me is to pretend that the front sight is connected to your trigger finger with a string. As you pull the trigger pretend that you are guiding the front sight through the center of the rear sight. Sounds goofy, doesn't it?

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
shooting to the right is common. as they say make sure you are pulling the trigger straight back. use the tip of your finger and the inside of your index finger should NOT be touching the gun. if it is, as you pull your finger back the inside of your index finger around the third joint pushes aganist the gun.

If you are not pulling your finger staight back, you don't even need a gun to see your index finger pushing right as you bend the finger tip backward. just look down at your finger from the top as you bend it back.

Now, we are assuming the gun shsoots straight and it probably does. But just to make sure have you bench shot it?

another thing, target accuracy is tight groups. defensive accuracy is anything on a 9 inch paper plate.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again with moving your finger straight back. If you whatch a bunch of shooting shows you'll hear the term " Press" instead of pull. With the tip of your finger "press" the trigger until it breaks. You will even hear some folk cadence "Aim" "Press"

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grip harder with your support hand

Take as much of the slack as quickly as you can and then break the shot.

Don't worry about when the shot it going too much at this point. Just keep the groups tight.

Simplest and best advice so far. I had and have the same issue. Mine comes from gripping with my dominant hand too much, and when I press the trigger, my grip torques the gun to the left.

Your non dominant hand should be bearing the majority of the grip. All your shooting hand should be doing is guiding the trigger straight back. I still struggle with this. As Mike said, concentrate on the grouping first, the other is fine tuning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom