HELP. Fence Poles. Are these OK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so I finally get around to having the side yard fence replaced.

The guys show up this AM and take down the fence and put up the poles.

Got back this afternoon and saw them and I'm not real happy.

I expected a galvanized steel pole. (I think that is what they are called) like these 20 year old posts:

i39.tinypic.com_14wzxuf.jpg

i42.tinypic.com_fcikp3.jpg

Instead, what I see sitting in the cement are these rusted pipes:

i43.tinypic.com_fxtmdt.jpg

i41.tinypic.com_2qtv63c.jpg

Can anyone in the fencing business tell me if these are acceptable for a fence?

Is this standard practice?

Should I be calling the installation company and tell 'em "no way"?

Thanks.

Dave

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not a fence expert but steel is steel and will rust unless it's painted or galvanized like in the first pic. Bulk pipe like the rusted stuff in the pic, starts out life black and oily, to prevent rust, but after it's been out in the elements for a time, it wears off and rusts. When we lived in town years ago, our neighbor put up a new wooden fence, it had rusty poles just like the one in your pic.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't believe painting over rust is a great idea either. Was there any consultation or paperwork about what material they would be using? I wouldn't be a happy camper.

okiemaggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like they found some old drillstem for you. Your quote for steel posts should have been with zinc coating.

How tall are those? and what goes between the posts... chainlink? stockade?

If it's vinyl privacy fence, the posts will be covered by post covers and you won't see them. If it is drillstem it'll sure last as long as you need it to but they sure are "rustic." lol

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess it depends on the builder.
Having the same thing done over this way - ripped out the old fence to extend the yard. These posts went in Thursday...

img.tapatalk.com_d_13_08_11_y7amunyt.jpg

img.tapatalk.com_d_13_08_11_gasygy7y.jpg

I'd ask your builder about it.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would rather have the pipe as the galvanized post. Cut them off to the right height and set a nice cap on them, properly primed and painted they will last many years. They are much heavier than the galvanized post generally. Most of the 2-3/8 tubing which is what it appears to be will be a schedule 40 which is pretty good pipe. Most of the galvanized post will be thin walled and not very good quality. Just my opinion.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If those are what they look like, they'll outlive you. They should have a wall thickness of somewhere between 1/8" and 1/4", and they'll be a hell of a lot stronger than zinc fence posts. If that surface rust bothers you, sand and paint them. I don't think I'd complain about them.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have miles of pipe fence around our ranch and if sanded lightly primed and painted seems to last just fine. Might need to be repainted every few years or so. Some of the fence around here has been up since '88 and is just fine. Make sure they either cap or fill the tops with concrete and use oil based primer and paint and it wouldn't bother me at all. But you have to see it so only you can decide.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be happy if they used 2 3/8 pipe to build a fence in my yard! I mowed the yard a few times for an old lady whose fence was built with that stuff, and if I ran into one of the pipes with my mower, I sure knew it. It's much stronger than the thin-walled zinc-coated stuff a lot of fence companies use, and will withstand high winds quite well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom