Help me pick an evil black rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok ladies and gents... I've been bitten by the AR bug. I'll freely admit that I know very little about ARs. As of last week, I initiated the "save money and do research" stage. I'll probably buy in 6 months or so. Please don't tell me to build a rifle, as I am already certain that my first AR will be factory assembled.

I've been perusing the interwebs, and as of now, I've narrowed the field to the Colt 6920 (magpul edition), Springfield Saint, or LWRC IC-DI. Is LWRC worth the extra coin? Does Springfield rival colt? Any other thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are going to get a LOT of different manufacturer recommendations. This is going to be like 9mm vs 45 and Glock vs 1911.

Just me, but after shooting DI rifles for years, I'm slowly switching to piston driven rifles that use AR magazines.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are going to get a LOT of different manufacturer recommendations. This is going to be like 9mm vs 45 and Glock vs 1911.

Just me, but after shooting DI rifles for years, I'm slowly switching to piston driven rifles that use AR magazines.

Yeah, I know it's gonna open a can of worms, but I'll learn a lot. I'm starting off with DI for a simple reason: commonalit/availability of parts. Every time I've picked a weapon, I've chosen a caliber that I can find anywhere. From what I understand, the piston guns are all proprietary. There's something to be said for that approach from a quality control perspective, but what happens if I choose a piston gun and the company goes belly up?

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Big question is............... What do you want it for???? Answering that question would help everyone give better advice.

That said.......
Unless you're preparing for the end of the world, you don't need a LWRC (unless you really want one)

The Saint is new and untested for quality (doesn't mean it sucks, just un-tested) The Colt is a combat rifle and is time tested (Also depends on if you like Springfields and Colts Politics)

I have mostly transitioned to pistons myself. Were you, me, Id get a PSA Blem Lower and a Adams Arms Midlength upper (cost is about the same for the Saint or Colt

You can also get a PSA Freedom Upper and lower that are as good as Colt, for A LOT Less. Like $600.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I know it's gonna open a can of worms, but I'll learn a lot. I'm starting off with DI for a simple reason: commonalit/availability of parts. Every time I've picked a weapon, I've chosen a caliber that I can find anywhere. From what I understand, the piston guns are all proprietary. There's something to be said for that approach from a quality control perspective, but what happens if I choose a piston gun and the company goes belly up?

Pistons hardly EVER break, save freak accidents. Parts that get worn are all AR general parts. Bolt carriers never wear out (and I really mean just about like, NEVER.
Bolts do break and Piston ARs use the same bolts as DI ARs
Other things that break are Lower parts, again all common to ARs whether piston or DI

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I understand, the piston guns are all proprietary. There's something to be said for that approach from a quality control perspective, but what happens if I choose a piston gun and the company goes belly up?

Having common parts from many sources is a big plus. Leaves room to have lots of extras.

I'm in that proprietary boat cause my two favorite rifles are a model that Sig Sauer no longer makes. I do have some DI guns, but I still favor the piston guns. So far they have been 100% reliable. They go through ammo that will choke my DI guns.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had anything break on my 5 different AR's. I shoot A LOT too. They aren't safe queens by no means.
Maybe I'm lucky?
Don't have any high end AR's, just franken guns with known reliability history parts.
I don't have any experience with Piston guns. The only one I saw was in developement years ago and the owner was having problems. I'm sure he and that platform has worked out the issues.

Is the OP looking for a certain caliber to build/buy?

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If budget is no matter, and im going for bad assedness straight from factory, then look into rock river ars. The operator line is as sick as they come from factory, other than that the saint is big bang for the buck!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom