Help me with the value of this J frame.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I will post some pics later, but thought I would get this started in order to get some ideas.

It is, I believe, a solid stainless Smith and Wesson J frame, model 60. It says model 60 under the cylinder crane, it says 38 S&W spl. on the right side of the barrel, the seriel # is R178**. It has the little wood grips on it. It has the firing pin built in to the hammer.

Like I said, I will have pics later tonight, the only problem with the gun is the sight insert from the front sight is missing. Any way of telling how old the gun is based on the seriel #? Any other details would be helpful, this is a gun I may be looking to sell, thanks.

S&W 10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Smith & Wesson model 60 production started in 1965 at 401754.
Serial numbers for 1965-1968 was from 401754-786544.
These numbers ran within the Chief's Special series which included the model 36, 37, 38, 49 and 50.
S&W went to the R prefix from 1969-1983 for the model 60, 651, 32 and 33.

As previously stated by dlbleak; yours should be 1969 which was R001-R30000

The front sight insert throws me a little; it may have been added after leaving the factory, but with older Smith's anything is possible. ;)

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pics would help, but basically, you're looking at about $300-$350 market value for that little guy. Maybe $400 if it's in pristine condition along with perfect lock up and timing.

Little things like Diamond stocks (especially if they are numbered to that particular revolver) as well as the original numbered box, docs and tools help increase the value too.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't believe that the front sight insert was original to the gun from the factory. It could have been a later factory addition or a gunsmith thing. Solid SS front sights are a bear to see in bright sunshine. S&W made the same all SS mistake with a number of the early guns.

Some of the first Mod 60's had solid SS hammers & triggers; these were a wear problem. Later ones had hard chrome plated hammers & triggers. You should be able to tell a color difference between the hard chrome and SS. Early 60's had a high polish finish, which was labor intensive.

If got the box, papers and cleaning kit with the gun keep them with the gun.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't really tell, is that stainless or nickle? Did S&W even make nickle models that early?

BC
Nickle plating has been around since the 1800's. It was the "weatherproof" finish of its day.

Back to the Mod 60. It is so marked on the inside of the frame under the crane, so its a SS.

It's hard to take clear pic's of bright SS guns, like this one probably is. The front sight insert does not appear to have the standard factory bevel on the side nearer the cylinder. This could be why the insert is MIA.

You might want to post some pic's over on the S&W forum and see what you get. Some of the guys there are especially knowledgeable. Value is going to fluctuate depending upon the region. http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php

Latest posts

Top Bottom