Help on Hand-Gun purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jberry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you have gotten some sage advice prior to posting.

For someone not familiar with guns as he probably is, I think he would be less apprehensive with a revolver as it is simple and reliable. Those "plastic" guns look cool, but are more difficult to get used to.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 357 revolver is a great choice for simplicity. I got my wife a 327 H&R Magnum made by S&W (I believe model 632) and she fell in love with it. Almost as much energy as a 357 but it will shoot 327 Federal Magnum, 327 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W, 32 long, 32 short and 32 auto. It has been an incredible entry platforn into handguns for my wife. She'll shoot mostly 32 long for target practice then load it up with 327 Federal Magnum for personal defense. That little revolver has maybe been my best handgun purchase ever. It is so fun to shoot.

A Glock 17/19 is always a good semi-auto as well. I'm personally not much of a fan but I'll readily admit I'm biased towards H&K. Glocks are great tools.

Good luck with your search.

CoffeeShooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
HA! Agreed....except for that plastic comment you made, as a Glock-hater. Don't see him spending much time at the gun range, though I could be wrong. Next question: Since it is a gift, do I get new or would someone be offended to receive a "pre-owned".

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HA! Agreed....except for that plastic comment you made, as a Glock-hater. Don't see him spending much time at the gun range, though I could be wrong. Next question: Since it is a gift, do I get new or would someone be offended to receive a "pre-owned".

Guns are always good. New or pre-owned.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a police return Glock 17 from Summit Guns. Glocks are durable tools that don't need babying. The much greater capacity of a semi-auto is big advantage over a revolver.

Most guns I wouldn't buy used without seeing it but Glocks are different. Shake to make sure you can hear the firing pin rattle. If it doesn't rattle, the owner has mistakenly oiled the firing pin channel and it needs cleaning out - easy to do.

Get some training - be sure he knows there is still a round in the chamber when you drop the mag.

Last edited:

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock 19--- ammo is plentiful, high capacity magazines that will give him 2 1/2- 3 times the number of shots of a revolver, and it has all the benefits of a revolver [don't put your finger on the trigger and it won't go off]. Plus it will be as durable as a blacksmith's anvil. Clean it before you give it to him and he probably wouldn't ever have to clean it again if he didn't want too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom