Help on Hand-Gun purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CoffeeShooter- How old is your dad, and what is his level of firearms training?

In your initial post, you wrote of vehicle and very little concealed carry. Assuming he already has his OK CC license, check to make sure it's marked to include semi auto pistol and revolver. If he's old enough that his hand strength and dexterity is fading (It happens to everybody), a DA revolver may be easier and safer to handle than a semi auto pistol. An old cop trade in .357 with 4" barrel and full sized grip panels would fit a large hand well and has the option of practicing with milder .38 Special ammo. They point wonderfully and are easier to shoot accurately for folks that don't shoot often.

Don't go small. If it's not going to be concealed, stick with mid-full sized guns. Other than local new & used, suggest checking Summit Gunbroker, AIM, SOG, J&G, CDNN and the rest for trade in's. Transfer through Sooner Pawn (Quick and inexpensive).

Good luck with your decision and have fun shooting with him

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tommy at Sooner State Pawn has some used Smith and Wesson 65-3 that are tradeins from Oklahoma Dept of Corrections. I bought one and I love it. It's idiot proof simple, chambered in 357 (you can shoot 38 special, also) and they are less than $400 if I remember correctly. They are also stainless, so they are pretty. You can't go wrong with a S%W revolver.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll stand by my stock answer. See if you can get him to shoot a few and let him pick it. That way he will be personally invested in it. If you pick it and he doesn't like the way it looks in his hand or feels. He'll never be satisfied with the way it shoots.
I like pistols with long barrels and fat grips, I also like heavy pistols. I could care less about the actions or names as long as they look and feel good to me and go bang I'm happy.
I'm a big believer in "Right to Choose".
I'd vote for Sooner too. Maybe you can arrange some test fires, but prolly not in the store.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tommy at Sooner State Pawn has some used Smith and Wesson 65-3 that are tradeins from Oklahoma Dept of Corrections. I bought one and I love it. It's idiot proof simple, chambered in 357 (you can shoot 38 special, also) and they are less than $400 if I remember correctly. They are also stainless, so they are pretty. You can't go wrong with a S%W revolver.

This^^^^^can't go wrong w/SSP and S&W.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If you are seriously considering a Glock, I suggest also checking out the Smith & Wesson M&P line of pistols.

I find the M&P more ergonomic and very versatile by adding $65 factory barrels for different caliber options.
(Note: The ability to add barrel options is with the .40, and .357 caliber guns only. The 9mm slide will not accept the larger caliber barrels.)

I have a M&P Compact with 9mm, .40 S&W, and .357 Sig barrels. The full sized Magazines can be used with an X-Grip to give the grip a full sized feel, and add capacity, while having the option of the Compact size for concealment.

If you aren't interested in the options, the M&P just feels better in the hand, to me.

There is nothing wrong with Glocks, I used to own a few, but there are other options for a very good modern pistol.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'd specifically stay away from the Judge type revolvers. The .410/.45 colt guns. They are long, heavy, and you don't get much, if any, benefit over a .357 magnum revolver.

Best advice so far is take him to the range and let him shoot as many different kinds of guns as possible.

Most larger autos are pretty reasonable in strength required to rack the slide. But that is something to make sure he can do himself, and do it quickly and reliably. Given that, a modern 9mm auto in compact to large size would be very easy to deal with even for a beginner. They are also easier to reload. And you can load up extra mags for him if need be.

If recoil is an issue, you can get steel framed guns like the CZ 75, Browning HiPower, S&W autos, that help tame what little recoil there is with 9mm. Even if it is, it would still be worth trying some of the polymer framed guns. They have a tendency to take the "bite" out of the recoil. Glock 19 (compact) / 17 (full size), S&W M&P9, Springfield XD / XDM, Ruger SR9, and others.

Contrary to some people's ideas that "bigger = more recoil" and that you should start with something small; the larger size does two things, absorbs / dampens more recoil energy, and gives you more to hold on to. Don't start him out with a peewee sized 9mm. They're not pleasant to shoot.

If racking the slide proves to be an issue, then look at revolvers. To me, a comparable weight revolver shooting a comparably powered round transmits more recoil to the wrist. But there is no slide to deal with. They are lower capacity for the weight, and slower to reload. Again, contrary to popular opinion, revolvers are not 100% reliable. If you do decide on a revolver, Rugers are almost impossible to wear out. The S&W's are smoother, and cost more. Charter Arms are cheaper, but not known for super high fit & finish. However, most all reports I've heard have been "they work." Taurus are *similar* to S&W in design, but they have more QC issues. My advice since your father is NOT a gun person (this is his first gun after all), and may not be a regular shooter, would be to stick with known quality brands. That goes for autos too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom