Help pick woman's first pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitRottMommy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on having her handle and fire as many guns as she can.

I'd also recommend that she do some research on her own. When I was searching for my first handgun, I had some great advice from lots of friends and a lot of pushing for a smaller caliber gun. After some research (someone mentioned corneredcat.com) and time I found that many women on police forces use the Kimber Procarry II (http://www.womenshooters.com/archive/old0702issue/tacoma0802.html). I figured if women (regardless of size) were carrying this gun, perhaps it warranted me looking into it. And I did. H&H held a day where many different reps showed up with lots of different handguns and I was fortunate enough to get to test drive the PC2. Turned out I was a pretty good shot with it and it felt GREAT it my hand. Even though it was a .45 and I'd been pushed away from this particular caliber because it was "too much gun for me", it's the one I chose. And, having owned it for 3 months now, it's my absolutely favorite.

Let her find one that she feels confident with while she has it in her hand. Don't judge if she chooses a larger or smaller caliber...and let her shoot as many guns as she can.

All that being said, I cast a vote for Glock. We own a 19 and it's what I started shooting. I think it's reasonable to expect that you can find one within the set price range and if she finds the grips a bit small (I did, but I do not have a small hand), there are always magazine extensions she can look into (and they're reasonably priced).

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 on having her handle and fire as many guns as she can.

I'd also recommend that she do some research on her own. When I was searching for my first handgun, I had some great advice from lots of friends and a lot of pushing for a smaller caliber gun. After some research (someone mentioned corneredcat.com) and time I found that many women on police forces use the Kimber Procarry II (http://www.womenshooters.com/archive/old0702issue/tacoma0802.html). I figured if women (regardless of size) were carrying this gun, perhaps it warranted me looking into it. And I did. H&H held a day where many different reps showed up with lots of different handguns and I was fortunate enough to get to test drive the PC2. Turned out I was a pretty good shot with it and it felt GREAT it my hand. Even though it was a .45 and I'd been pushed away from this particular caliber because it was "too much gun for me", it's the one I chose. And, having owned it for 3 months now, it's my absolutely favorite.

Let her find one that she feels confident with while she has it in her hand. Don't judge if she chooses a larger or smaller caliber...and let her shoot as many guns as she can.

All that being said, I cast a vote for Glock. We own a 19 and it's what I started shooting. I think it's reasonable to expect that you can find one within the set price range and if she finds the grips a bit small (I did, but I do not have a small hand), there are always magazine extensions she can look into (and they're reasonably priced).

Welcome aboard! And, thanks for the input. There will be a trip to H&H sometime after the first of the year. We're trying to gather as much input from all of you folks before making that trip, to help her narrow the field.

PitRottMommy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! And, thanks for the input. There will be a trip to H&H sometime after the first of the year. We're trying to gather as much input from all of you folks before making that trip, to help her narrow the field.

Thanks. I've lurked for too long and your post was too tempting not to reply to...so I had to sign up. Darn! ;)

crappie josh

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
when i took the wife out to shoot first time i and well i let her shoot my S&W M&P.45 well i knew that was going to be to big for her but she wanted to try and well needless to say she ended up with a ruger mark 3 with all the bells and wistles on it fluted barrel crimson trace laser fiber optice sights and like 3 different safeties and i told her she could shoot that and get use to shooting that and then we whould buy her a 9mm of her choice and the good thing about her having that little rugger is that now she and i have a fun gun to go out and plink with

Good Cheer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been asked to provide some assistance in picking the first pistol for a brand new shooter ... a young woman whom I really know nothing about. This will be used for self defense/concealed carry. We are going to stick with 9x19. We're trying to maintain a budget of about $500. Some of the pistols that have come up for consideration are:

Glock 26
Beretta PX4
S&W M&P compact
Springfield XD subcompact

I would appreciate your input ... pros and cons of the pistols I have listed, or give me some other ideas. I know that H&H lists all of the aforementioned pistols on their rental list, so she could try them before purchasing.

Thanks for your assistance!

From personal experience with my own better 2/3's, hand size, grip strength and maintenance of ability are major factors.
She picked a double action .357 mag because it is a pick it up and shoot, no middle of the night fumbling brought on by not training continually. And, she's good with it (which counts for a lot) because she can bounce cans in the back yard with 38 wadcutters as well as bang the gong with 357's. By the way, while she has little use for the laser, the Crimson Trace grips best suit her hand, so that's what she shoots (with the laser turned off unless entertaining the cats).
Oh, by the way, she also likes the option of blowing through the front of her shoulder bag. An auto that can't eject reliably inside a purse and a slide coming back in an awkward position were also considerations she looked at. A shrouded hammer 38 was the close runner up.

Gonewithwind

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may have been posted before me, but as she is trying them out, try a Ruger SR9C
My wife was dead set on Glock 26, until she saw the SR9C (my choice) I have one ordered, then to see if we buy another Ruger, or if she reverts back.
I havn't completed much research on holsters etc. but I have heard of a few saying not too many options for SR9C. Of course a purse is generally a universal fit (for the ladies).

BulkAmmo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would start her with a firearm orientation class first. Figure out what it's going to be used for. Firearms are just tools and you want the right one for the job. Then let her handle a few firearms and see what she likes. Once you have a ballpark it would be a good idea to take her out and rent/borrow and shoot as many as she can.

So suggestions to get you in the right direction. Any of the sub compact or compact polymer pistols from the major manufacturers would be good. I would check out a CZ Rami if you can. They are small enough that they fit a females hand well but large enough that the recoil isn't going to be too stout.

bulk .44 magnum ammo

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
By way of an update ... first of all, thanks to everyone for their input. It has all been helpful. We got her out to shoot last Sunday (outdoors ... it was cold as hell, remember?). She had a blast! She had never shot before, and did not want to quit! She was given the opportunity to go inside and warm up several times, and she wanted to keep shooting! She shot (if I remember all of them) a S&W 22A, S&W 36, S&W Model 28, KelTec PF9, and full size 1911. This girl (GIRL! ... she's no girl ... she's an adult lady) is a natural. She was not the least bit phased by any of these, and shot extremely well! ... I mean, REALLY WELL! She was kinda' leaning toward a revolver when we were done. She is taking her CCW class tomorrow with the 22A, and is making a trip to H&H Sunday. Hopefully, she will handle, rent, and shoot several more to help her decide. Thanks for the help, and I'll keep you all posted!

Latest posts

Top Bottom