Help pick woman's first pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After taking my wife to look around & hold several different guns she fell in love with the little XD9 sub-compact. Fit her hand perfectly with the regular magazine, dont even need the pinky extension for her.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I owned a Beretta PX4 sub-comp, and it was absolutely spectacular. Best gun I've yet had, although, for concealment, it's a bit thick. Otherwise, it's a perfect point of aim shooter, and totally dependable. The only other drawback is my own preference for a manual safety to be located on the frame.

I'd have kept mine to the end, but I really needed a Deagle. Really.

Also, they don't say "Glock Perfection" just to sell guns. Glocks are amazing tools.

Reaction score
I'm presently going through the same thing here - some to consider adding to your list, to find one that she likes best - to find one that fits her best and she shoots the best with (sticking with compact 9mms - or 9x18) - some of the better choices, IMO are bolded:

Almost any Kahr: P9 or CW9 for starters (but these are light enough to be a bit snappy)

1911 in 9mm (preferably a 4")

S&W 3913

S&W 3953

CZ 75 D Compact PCR

Sig P225 / P6

Star Firestar

Makarov

Sig P239

Walther P99

Baby Eagle compact

The CZ-esque polymer gun from STI looks interesting

And of course, scratch Glock for the usual obvious reasons. From your list, anything but Glock - I'd probably lean toward the M&P, but all good.

Unfortunately, you can NOT rent most of these, but at least you can rent the XD, M&P, and STI at Heartland (someone mentioned Heartland); maybe a couple others. I think you can rent the Beretta PX4, IIRC.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If at all possible, let her shoot the pistol before committing to it. Renting a a great idea, or maybe get some help from local friends. She should be comfortable shooting whatever the 2 of you decide on.

Women with small hands usually find the smaller weapons comfortable to hold but a nightmare to shoot. They also may or may not have enough strength in the wrists to shoot a smallish handgun even in 9mm.

IMHO, the DA revolver is the safest handgun ever conceived, especially for people who don't spend a great deal of time with them. There's no safety to disengage when the BG appears or to re-engage once he's on the floor and harmless. There's no decocker to remember to use after an incident. Just point, click, put back in the purse until it's needed again.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
IMHO, the DA revolver is the safest handgun ever conceived, especially for people who don't spend a great deal of time with them. There's no safety to disengage when the BG appears or to re-engage once he's on the floor and harmless. There's no decocker to remember to use after an incident. Just point, click, put back in the purse until it's needed again.

My thinking as well. My wife picked out a Charter Arms .38Spl as her first firearm. Didn't hurt that she was intrigued by the pink finish.

Latest posts

Top Bottom