Help pick woman's first pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good to hear that, Don. Aint it nice to help somebody learn a new skill?

~J

You're right, Jeff. It is nice. I don't take any credit ... besides giving her the opportunity and getting her started on the right (safe) foot.

NOW ... she went through her CCW class Saturday, scored 100% on the written test and shot as well as I knew she would. They made the trek to H&H today and she shot several pistols ... I won't remember them all as I wasn't there for it ... G26, XD9SC, M&P, Kahr (?PM9?), LCR. It seems the hands-down, no contest favorite is the XD9SC, so I think she's in the market. I KNOW she's in the market! So, if anybody knows of any good deals on the XD9SC, please let me know! I think she has the fever ... has re-lit the fever in my daughter ... and may re-kindle my wife's interest as well! LIFE IS GOOD!!!

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I consider the G26 the perfect gun for ladies. I love it.
Super comfortable to shoot, super reliable, super dependable, (a super gun no doubt) fits nicely in a handbag. Every woman that tried my .380s and the G26 ended up preferring the Glock. It is a gun they can comfortably shoot a lot, gain confidence and actually have fun with instead of being punished by the recoil.
I bought an LCP for my wife, she fired a couple of shots and that was it. Once she tried my G26, I lost it. Good thing I have more than just one.
Did I mention that I love the G26?

LCPguy

Marksman
Reaction score
One thing you might want to have her consider is how she will carry the gun. If it is a purse gun I would seriously consider something like the Ruger LCR. Being a revolver if she ever had to shoot from inside the purse there is no possibility that it would not fire. A semi-automatic might get off one round but there is a high probability something in the purse could jam the action preventing another shot. That being said sh should still try renting a few different guns to find on she is comfortable with.

ahamay6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say skip the auto aisle and go to a revolver. Much simpler and always gonna go bang. S&W 642 or bodyguard no hammer easy to carry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom