Help With AR Upper Receiver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a bolt group that's been in at least a dozen uppers for a lengthy ammount of time. Headspace is not an issue if you use known parts. The bolt doesn't matter if the barrel extension is off.

That's not to say that you couldn't improve on the BCG with a better one that has a few more goodies in.

Buzz70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before you buy - you might consider upgrading the barrel too - that DD barrel is still $169 at Bravo Company (chrome-lined, M4 Feedramps, Govt Profile, 16").

You could probably sell your upper/barrel and recoup the cost of most of a flat-top upper and have a really nice shooter. You'll need a barrel with M4 Feedramps if you're getting an upper with them - but if you have a barrel with M4 feedramps, you don't necessarily have to have an upper with them.

Reason I say that is because if your Bushy barrel doesn't have M4 feedramps and that YHM upper does, its not going to work for you.

Gotcha, thx!

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you start mixing and matching bolts and barrel extensions, I hope you have head space gauges.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I bought headspace gauges and I have not found a bolt/barrel combo that does not have correct headspace.

This is with a Bushmaster bolt (no idea who actually makes it) and a BCM bolt.

I have tried them with barrels from Satern, Sabre, Bushmaster, and DD.

All combinations have acceptable headspace, so at least from my limited experience, good parts make for good results.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
to get the finish of the metal to match better you'll have to get a brass scrubber (like a choirboy) and gun oil. just pour the oil into the scrubber and lightly rub over the entire receiver then wipe off the excess with a rag. it works, i was scared to do it at first but it matched up perfectly.

Can you elaborate on what you did? I have a YHM upper on my Spike's lower and the Spike's lower has got a little more shine to it than the YHM upper. Which receiver did you do it on (upper or lower)?

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on what you did? I have a YHM upper on my Spike's lower and the Spike's lower has got a little more shine to it than the YHM upper. Which receiver did you do it on (upper or lower)?

i did this to the upper receiver. when i got it, it had a dull finish, really light gray color, and didn't match the lower at all. my dad told me about the trick of a choir boy (brass) cleaning scrubber and gun oil. just pour some oil into the scrubber like it's a sponge or you can drip the oil directly onto the receiver, and rub the entire surface of the area (lightly) that you want to gloss up a lil bit and then wipe off the excess oil from the reciever. i did mine about 6 months ago and it still looks great. don't know if you'll be able to see, but here's a pic of mine to show how well it matched up. [Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom