Help With Contiguous State Rule For Gun Purchases

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am up in Montana and I see a Ruger 10/22 Sporter at a great price ($279 out the door). I am thinking because I bought a shotgun at another gun store (Cabela’s) a year ago there should be no problem at this sporting goods store getting this Ruger.

Wrong.

They tell me that Oklahoma residents can only buy in Oklahoma or in contiguous states. My first thought is how do I prove that a law doesn't exist? Does anyone have a link (because I can’t find it) where it shows that this is not the law?

Appreciate the help.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I called Cabela's back and asked them if they were banned from selling long guns to OK residents and they said no. They have a list of states that are banned but OK is not one of them.

Firecop - Yes. I did a brief and said OK residents can buy in contiguous states BUT says nothing about not being able to buy in other states.

I am going to write the state AG next for a clarification. Thanks!

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can purchase long guns in any state as long as the states allow it and the selling FFL follows the laws of the state the purchaser resides in.

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#gca-unlicensed-acquire

The contiguous states law was in the GCA of 1968 and was removed by the GCA of 1986. Not all states have updated their state laws to reflect this and some smaller FFLs feel it is easier to not make out of state sales due to having to follow the other state laws./

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They tell me that Oklahoma residents can only buy in Oklahoma or in contiguous states.

They are wrong. Unlike FL, which still has the "contiguous law" brought on by the 1968 GCA, OK removed theirs after the 1986 FOPA.

I've purchased long guns in KY with no problem from stores that had the correct state listing.

Since there is no OK law to point to, and Federal laws allow it, I don't know how you prove a negaive to a store whose data are out of date. Might go to Wal Mart and take a picture of the sign they post showing which states residents are eligible to buy in that state???? :anyone:

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought the contiguous state wording was just recently dropped from Oklahoma firearms law a couple of years ago. I seem to remember that one passing while we were trying to get Tibbs to let open carry out of committee 2 years ago.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Right now, it looks like the contiguous state rule regarding Oklahoma has been dropped in Montana. I called the store's customer service and they are going to make changes. Maybe when I get back up to Bozeman I will pick that 10/22 up.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Was in Wyoming and found a Ruger 10/22 Sporter at Sportsman Warehouse in Casper. Went to buy it they gave me the same contiguous state rationale that I got in Bozeman at another store. I suggested that they call their corporate office and ask their ATF liaison and they said their corporate website is updated weekly to the laws and regulations. Further proof that inbreeding does not work.

I went down the road to another gun store in Gillette. They sold me a Ruger 10/22 Sporter without issue. When I asked they said Oklahoma is on their list that they can sell to.

okiefarmer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a "non-contiguous" state DL but an Okla. residence. I haven't had trouble buying rifles, but pistols are another story. I think I have to provide some "government issued" document proving I'm an Okla. resident to buy a pistol along with my out of state DL. Anyone care to comment on the pistol issue? Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom