Help With Contiguous State Rule For Gun Purchases

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock Nut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hand guns are different and you are only allowed to buy hand guns in the state of your residence. if you are an ok resident i would recommend getting an oklahoma drivers license if you dont want any flack when trying to buy a pistol.

BallisticGuy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a picture at all the walmart's in the gun rack. I think people from Montana can buy here.. I was in the seminole walmart and saw the chart on the way to our land.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a "non-contiguous" state DL but an Okla. residence. I haven't had trouble buying rifles, but pistols are another story. I think I have to provide some "government issued" document proving I'm an Okla. resident to buy a pistol along with my out of state DL. Anyone care to comment on the pistol issue? Thanks in advance.

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#gca-unlicensed-acquire

You need to get a driver's license that matches your state of legal residence and shows your correct address to buy a handgun from a FFL, and you must receive the handgun in your home state. Your ID must show your correct physical address to legally buy a handgun. Putting a false address on the 4473 is a Federal felony, and the dealer is not allowed to sell the gun if the given address and ID don't match.
EXCEPTION for active military: Copy of current PCS orders showing assignment to OK and a military ID suffice. Does not apply to dependents.

ADDED: This ATF gun show handout is a great synopsis of Fed gun sale laws.
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/i/atf-i-5300-23a.pdf

okiefarmer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Glock Nut and Rod Snell!

I'm a graduate student here in Okla. temporarily and thus avoid the "10 (or 30) days to get OK DL once you move here". I was told by a drivers license station employee that I must surrender my out of state DL to obtain an OK IDENTIFICATION CARD (not DL). Do you know if the ID card would even be valid for handgun purchase if I got one? Is it in fact true that I would have to surrender my out of state DL to get the ID card?

bashed1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's my understanding you don't need an Oklahoma driver license to purchase a handgun in this state - there are many types of state-issued ID showing your photo and your current address that will do (including an Oklahoma CWL).

Rick Means

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope it is possible. My son is in the Military in San Diego. He is buying a Sig Sauer 226 (like his service arm.) I don't want him to get into trouble. His legal residence is here in OK.

Latest posts

Top Bottom