Help With Ruger Mkii Rip Off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That can get nasty. No MkII "detail" job is worth $120, unless, as noted, he replaced parts for you (and he should call before doing that, unless the weapon was not functionally safe w/o the repair; even then...)

Now, obviously, we're only getting 1/2 the story. Was the MkII left out, over the winter and rusted shut? Shot a bunch of rabbits, and got it soaked in blood? I'm only being half sarcastic, I've seen both of these scenarios.:lookaroun

Pretty much, your only recourse is 1) pay him (negotiate it down to $75/80), or 2) get a written list of what he says he did, and get quotes from a few other smiths in the area, and talk to your county sherriff and/or DA, since its theft/extortion/illegal business practices, depending on your state's laws.

Unless you've got lots of time and energy, I would probably do #1, and spread the hole's name far and wide.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would offer to pay him $50 for his extra trouble, take it or leave it. If he refuses, demand your property back. If he again refuses, explain that you are going to pursue legal remedies. If he still refuses, contact the PD, the DA's office, an attorney and the Better Business Bureau. Make sure you have proof of ownership to show the authorities.

I refuse to tolerate jackholes who try scaming people like this. It's repugnant.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you had a written quote for $ XX, then hold the guy to it. It is not professional to exceed a quote, whether written or not, without contacting the customer for approval. It would be appropriate for the guy to charge up to his quote for his time, but not more without customer approval. The guy should have contacted the customer before proceeding to rack up a bill 3X the quote.

If the guy won't play ball, follow up on Glocktogo's suggestions.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don't have a written quote, or if you signed a pre-printed work order that may have "fine print legalese in it", I'd also pop a recorder (Some small digital cameras have them built in) into my pocket when you go talk to him. Get him on tape admitting that he told you $40 for cleaning and ask him why he didn't call to recieve authorization for a 3X bill. If you can get him on tape being a jackhole, you can play that for the authorities to strengthen your case.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
3 hours seems long to me, this is a gun store, right? A qualified gunsmith? Unless I'd given him the OK, he's way out of bounds. 3x the price? Thats not resonable. For $80 bucks I'd take him to small claims court. Tell him that you plan to do so as well. Just the same, anymore I get things written down before work starts, sad, a handshake isn't as good as it used to be.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
as long as you can prove its your property to cops , demand it back , if he refuses dial 911, right there in front of him,and report a theft,any repair shop cannot retain your property, but mechanics can file a lien against a car title.i think all he can really do its take you to small claims court.

Latest posts

Top Bottom