Helsel, Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have spent a lot of free time studying state history and genealogy. I have researched for several years the old town of Helsel in Cleveland Co. I know the location of the school, the town, and several of the surrounding farms from 1900-1920. It was deserted and the land sold to the government when the Naval Gunnery School was built outside Lexington.

If anyone has any tidbits of history to share or old photographs to share, I would be ecstatic.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Care to read up on some oddities in some of those small towns, I recommend this.

IMG_7540.jpeg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is mind boggling to most the amount of towns in any state that went quiet and eroded out of most peoples minds.

Yep. I remember reading years ago about Urbana Avenue, that runs through an older subdivision between 51st and 61st in Tulsa, which was once the runway for Commercial Airport. When the city spread south and east in that direction, airport operations were moved to Riverside and the runway incorporated into the subdivision. If you look at a map, you’ll see that part of the street is pretty wide and runs perfectly straight, but is not quite aligned N-S.

Latest posts

Top Bottom