HEY GUYS!! What do you want to know how to do that you don't know how to do now??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'd like to learn minor surgery skills. What is best to use for thread for suchers, that sort of thing. Some nurse (my mother in law) told me it was not legal to posses a suchering kit when I asked her to get me one. Is that true?

I'd also like to learn more medicine stuff. Can one make penicillin at home? I'm great with making moldy bread, evidently.

Definitely would like to learn better plant ID.

Im pretty sure suturing kits are not illegal. Its actually quite easy. A basic square knot can be used most of time although there are others. The "best" to use depends more on where your suturing ie face vs thigh vs head. Tissue come into play as well. Sometime staples or steri strips are best.

When I was taught we used an orange but just to learn sterile feild techniques and knot tieing. We got all the "real" practice sewing on a ship. At least One per day for 2 years and as many as 8 in 4 hours once.

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to learn minor surgery skills. What is best to use for thread for suchers, that sort of thing. Some nurse (my mother in law) told me it was not legal to posses a suchering kit when I asked her to get me one. Is that true?

I'd also like to learn more medicine stuff. Can one make penicillin at home? I'm great with making moldy bread, evidently.

Definitely would like to learn better plant ID.

I don't think it is illegal to own a suture kit, however, it is illegal to practice medicine without a license. With that said, here's a good website on choosing suture. http://www.doomandbloom.net/choosing-the-right-suture-material/
Catgut suture is good for internal stitching to close up dead space, vinyl suture is good for stitching skin. If it is a clean cut with straight edges, you can use dermaglue (or superglue in a pinch).

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After yesterday, I want to know some basic veterinarian skills.

After working in both large animal & small animal medicine, I've got a bunch of vet tech books. You can pick them up pretty cheap online, just depends on what you are looking for. A Mercks manual & a Plumbs medicine come in handy for diagnosis and drug treatment. For every species you own, it is good to have a cheat sheet on normal body temp, respiration & heart rate with a rectal thermometer & stethoscope in your vet kit. For my dog, I have a bottle of human antihistamine, low dose aspirin & some antibiotics. I have more, but that generally covers the basics.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think it is illegal to own a suture kit, however, it is illegal to practice medicine without a license. With that said, here's a good website on choosing suture. http://www.doomandbloom.net/choosing-the-right-suture-material/
Catgut suture is good for internal stitching to close up dead space, vinyl suture is good for stitching skin. If it is a clean cut with straight edges, you can use dermaglue (or superglue in a pinch).

Just curious where the line is drawn. When does it start being "practicing medicine" legally? Obviously you can give people aspirin, and Benadryl, and put a bandage on a wound. Why not stitches in an emergency? What about on yourself? I have been working with my hands all my life, and have superglued bad cuts many a time on myself, and co-workers. Had to superglue up my 20 year old the other day. I'd just like to know the right way to do it, in a pinch, should there not be medical help nearby.

I'd like to not kill my garden too! My grandmother made it look so easy. Aunt Jessie said that we Culvers had green thumbs. She must have just mistaken my bad thumb for green.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
IMO, ya cross the line when ya start getting paid. Im a decent jack of all, but if ya want a guarantee or warranty work, better go to a licensed "expert".

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely when you get paid for it, but I can't speak for legally in the human word. In most emergency circumstances, the good samaritan law may cover some things, but stitches wouldn't be considered triage. In vet med, someone can talk about different treatments or procedures, but cannot give you specific advice on how to treat your animal or treat it for you. If it is your own animal, you can basically do whatever you want as far as veterinary services.

Just curious where the line is drawn. When does it start being "practicing medicine" legally? Obviously you can give people aspirin, and Benadryl, and put a bandage on a wound. Why not stitches in an emergency? What about on yourself? I have been working with my hands all my life, and have superglued bad cuts many a time on myself, and co-workers. Had to superglue up my 20 year old the other day. I'd just like to know the right way to do it, in a pinch, should there not be medical help nearby.

I'd like to not kill my garden too! My grandmother made it look so easy. Aunt Jessie said that we Culvers had green thumbs. She must have just mistaken my bad thumb for green.

Latest posts

Top Bottom