HEY GUYS!! What do you want to know how to do that you don't know how to do now??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As soon as I get back to Oklahoma and get settled in, I finally plan on taking up aviation. I have always wanted to get my rotary wing license, but a fixed wing license is also a goal. I will also be able to obtain a license to carry....good riddance CA! Only 3-4 weeks left.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find an affordable bunch of lowers to buy..

No kidding ...

I think I would like to know how to make the most out of any animal harvested. This includes every part of the animal and what all it would be useful for. I know different animals have different perks shall we say but it would be nice to know

Take a look at this Mother Earth News article ... It'll at least get you headed in the right direction.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/offal-recipes-ze0z1301zwar.aspx?newsletter=1&utm_content=01.11.13+FG+B&utm_campaign=2013+FG&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yeah forgot to mention reloading. Thank you WTJ for reminding me .

Reloading is quite easy to pick up. An uncle taught me the absolute bare minimum basics in a few hours. After I could assemble a cartridge that would go BANG, he spent a couple years teaching me the minutiae of bench rest reloading, for sub moa accuracy. It's an ever expanding skillset that is relatively inexpensive to get into, and if you are an avid shooter, the savings can be substantial. Not only can you produce premium quality ammo, but you can free up funds to spend towards other preps.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People are always talking about what they know ... I know this, I know that, blah, blah, blah :popcorn:

Yes, yes ... Well I wanna know what you really meant to try this year and didn't get around to ...

Me? (Yes, I'll go first ... Good grief ... I swear sometimes I think you guys are French ...)

I wanna learn how to homebrew beer. I was gonna do this a few years ago and then got distracted doing something else (like trying to figure out how to make these headaches go away) ...

I also want to make kombucha. :teehee: (That's NOT French, btw ...)

For some reason or another I've been on a "fermentation" kick ... I miss my grandma's homemade saurkraut. The store-bought stuff is N.A.S.T.Y.!!

GC is less than impressed with the skills I would like to acquire ... He prefers I just bake ... LOL

I'd also like to get my Appleseed patch and take some rifle classes at Bobby's place in Grandfield. I didn't used to care for rifle shooting but at Henschman's Appleseed I actually had some targets that looked pretty damned good, if I do say so myself. Daniel frankensteined up GC's 10-22 and it fits me A LOT better now. I'm "on the paper" as they say! Whudda thunk it?!?!?

I'd like to get some quail and a dwarf goat but GC is being kinda grumpy about more critters ... sigh ... How'mI gonna make homemade cheese if I don't have a goat to milk?!?!?! Maybe you guys can talk some sense into him ... *sigh*

OK ... NOW it's YOUR turn. What do you want to learn to do?

Talk about bumping old threads ... Well things didn't go quite like I'd planned and I've not done some of the things I listed but done some I didn't ...

How 'bout you guys??

Let's see ... as usual, I'll go first ...

I didn't learn to brew beer but in my defense, I really can't drink much anymore due to my meds for my neck and I have a very dear, very young, very handsome feller who lives close who is kind enough to share with me from his personal stash of homebrew (which is VERY VERY GOOD ... ) from time to time ... Not only that but he also shares his spent grain with me. The chickens are happy, happy, happy! I'm trying my hand at making spent grain bread and he gets some really good eggs, along with homemade bread in return so that's a fair trade ... Maybe I'll try my hand at wine this year ... :anyone:

I've come to the conclusion that an Appleseed patch is not in my future. My neck just will not let me shoot enough to qualify. :( It's a bummer, but it is what it is ...

I tried the kombucha ... Don't like it. The mother is WAY too finicky (I think my house is too cold in the winter) and besides the tea upsets my stomach ... BAD ... Which is too bad because I kinda liked the taste ... Oh well ... on to other things ...

However, my sourdough mother is growing like a weed! :woot: I'm in the process of learning how to dry it so I can put some up in the cabinet. That way if she ever dies ... or I don't have time to fool with taking care of her ... or I want to share her with friends (which I will if any one wants some) ... I will have a viable mother to share ... This sourdough thing is really fun ... A lot better than the kombucha, even though there are some similarities ...

Thinking about trying my hand at the Amish Friendship Bread, but if I get too many things fermenting around here GC is gonna kick my butt ... He already thinks the sourdough smell is too much ... but he sure likes the bread! :D

I started the 5-year Naturopathy courses at Trinity School of Natural Healing. It's been interesting so far ... I think it will eventuall change the way I herb garden ... I can definitely see me doing my own dried herbs, teas, tinctures and essential oils ...

Still want a goat but I guess for right now GC has "won" that "battle" ... But ... never fear ... Sgt.Twitch and his darling bride have baby goats in coats so I can still try my hand at goat's milk cheeses ... :woot: We've got to get together so I can get your rabbits to you ...

Pen is set up for the quail but haven't ordered them yet. With the city changing their ordinances and allowing rainwater catchment barrels and edible gardens in front yards I've revamped my plans a little (GC is TERRIFIED now ... :rotflmao:) and want to get some more rain barrels in, as well as some raised beds in the front before I add any more critters to the mix ... Although we are gonna "refresh" our hens this year, which means there will be some "funerals" coming ... :( And some chicken for the stewpot this winter! :D

OK ... who's next ... what do you gals and guys want to get done this year??

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After yesterday, I want to know some basic veterinarian skills.

I can just imagine ... I'm always hesitant to give out vet advice because I'm not a vet and I'd hate to be wrong. But I have to admit all the stuff I learned watching my dad has sure come in handy and saved us a TON of money ... When we go to the vet GC knows it's a life or death matter around here ... or just routine shots ... LOL

Let me see if I can find some layman's books that look solid and I'll give you some links. It's hard to watch them suffer when they are your family, especially when you aren't sure if it will pass or get worse ... Dogs are a lot like kids in the respect they can look like they are on death's door and a couple hours later be begging for something to eat and wanting to play ... But you sure can't tell that at the time ... :nolike:

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Too many things, So little time.
The main things are cast my own projectiles and I want to learn how to make leather/tan hides for garments.
I would like to brew my own beer also.

I think OU is holding online classes for free to become a beer master. (it could be osu) but its one or the other.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would like to try out all the stuff/tricks ive learned along the way. By this, i mean id like to actually get my wife to actually participate for a weekend bug in/out drill.

Would also like to get in better shape, im gettin soft with a cushy life style.
Also need to work on my communication. I have none. Maybe HAM or at least a CB set up.

Well I didnt get in better shape. Got worse in fact. Still no ham or cb either. Still workin on that bug out weekend.

2013 was a total wash for me. I never ever ever want to go through those kinda issues again.

So get back in some kinda shape, work on communication and bug out for a weekend or few.

I did buy a complete windmill thats all crated up.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to learn minor surgery skills. What is best to use for thread for suchers, that sort of thing. Some nurse (my mother in law) told me it was not legal to posses a suchering kit when I asked her to get me one. Is that true?

I'd also like to learn more medicine stuff. Can one make penicillin at home? I'm great with making moldy bread, evidently.

Definitely would like to learn better plant ID.

Latest posts

Top Bottom