Hey Tort Reform Advocates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm all for tort reform if it were actually to protect indivudual's rights, but I don't think that's whats on the table really. I'm afraid it's the smoke and mirrors they use to get us all riled up about it.

Lawyers are certainly easy to blame for the problems, but then again members of the legislative branch are in fact mostly lawyers... :anyone:

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm all for tort reform if it were actually to protect indivudual's rights, but I don't think that's whats on the table really. I'm afraid it's the smoke and mirrors they use to get us all riled up about it.

Yeah they've gotten really good at making "helping corporations externalize costs onto people" sound like "pro-freedom legislation."

Lawyers are certainly easy to blame for the problems, but then again members of the legislative branch are in fact mostly lawyers... :anyone:

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It might surprise some to learn there are already limits on judgments in some lawsuits.
In wrongful death suits against the state, (like the many children who died in state care) there is a law capping judgments at $175,000. In the Cruz case the jury awarded $20 million against the foster parent, (horrible case) but in the suit against the state it was capped at $175,000, and those responsible kept their jobs.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It might surprise some to learn there are already limits on judgments in some lawsuits.
In wrongful death suits against the state, (like the many children who died in state care) there is a law capping judgments at $175,000. In the Cruz case the jury awarded $20 million against the foster parent, (horrible case) but in the suit against the state it was capped at $175,000, and those responsible kept their jobs.

That's not surprising at all. I'll refrain from saying my true thoughts so I won't get the banhammer.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah they've gotten really good at making "helping corporations externalize costs onto people" sound like "pro-freedom legislation."

and that extends to more than just Tort reform as well...

I for one believe that we are pretty far from what the founders thought when they conceptualized our freedoms. Fairness seems to be a casualty as well.

But then again, life isn't fair is it.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
YES tort reform is badly needed ...
for proof look at what fear of malpractice lawsuits has done.

it's well known, doctors will order batteries of tests to not only make more $$$.
but just as importantly insulate themselves from threats of extremely costly lawsuits.

costs to defend lawsuits can be as much if not more than actual lawsuit. costs that even if defendant wins, will never be recouped. this is why insurance companies will settle certain type actions over objections of defendants ... the costs to defends exceeds risks of loosing.

this cost has been passed down to the general public in form of HIGHER & higher healthcare costs. it seems the needs of a few has been passed on to the many.

why can't there be extremely high limits placed on certain type lawsuits?
this would meet the needs of both plaintiffs and defendants.
it appears the state has been doing this for decades.

why does it have to be all or none?

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice.. :musketeers: ...I will ponder on that for a while.

Ahhhh...revolution....such a lovely sounding word. Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling all over.

Not sure revolution is such a great word or idea, but you can understand some feeling better about it than some of the words that lead to it like corruption, oppression, slavery, etc.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have to wonder if that's not what many of the colonist felt like before the revolution.

I'm certain the colonists were not concerned about being banned from an internet forum; my guess is that they had more pressing concerns.

I am also confident that anyone who fought ol' King George probably found him a bit more oppressive than an OSA moderator.

Let's not be overly dramatic here.............

Latest posts

Top Bottom