Hi Folks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boy, I dunno ... That's a hard one. I'm not gonna give up, but it's a good thing I'm better with critters than I am with plants ... Maybe I should get to work on that tilapia set-up and stop worrying about the cucumbers ... :D

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, at least we aren't alone... Now, what do we do about the plants? My game plan right now is to kidnap my father & make him teach me! :) Or just keep reading & experimenting on my own until I get it right...

You might try your County Extension agent. If they don't have the information you're after, they might be able to get it. Worth a try in any event.

OT,(sorry OP) but Bunny, you might be interested in knowing that my book is done and it is on Kindle.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no idea what to do, Im great at growing plants and flowers and actually have a pretty green thumb. I can grow herbs great, but anyone can they are basically like weeds just leave them alone and they do fine. But for whatever reason gardening food is still mysterious and eludes me. I did get a good crop of cucumbers this year but thats about it. I've read everything I can get my hands on and asked people when to plant stuff etc and it's just not sinking in. I think I may be garden dumb.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome!

Your gardening efforts may not be your fault.
The first thing you need to do is find out the health of your soil. A soil analysis is in order. Your local nursery or farmers COOP can provide the bags and directions to obtain a sample. Most are analyzed at OSU. Include the fact it's a home garden, and the type of veggi's your wanting to grow. The return analysis will be tailored to your specific needs. It's about $10 for cost.

The fall/early winter Is the time to prepare your soil for spring planting.

Another sample in the spring will confirm your soil is good, or needs additional treatments.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might try your County Extension agent. If they don't have the information you're after, they might be able to get it. Worth a try in any event.

OT,(sorry OP) but Bunny, you might be interested in knowing that my book is done and it is on Kindle.

Ohhhh ... seriously?!?! Link it up ... I'll buy a copy!! (You should post more!! :) :heart:)

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome!

Your gardening efforts may not be your fault.
The first thing you need to do is find out the health of your soil. A soil analysis is in order. Your local nursery or farmers COOP can provide the bags and directions to obtain a sample. Most are analyzed at OSU. Include the fact it's a home garden, and the type of veggi's your wanting to grow. The return analysis will be tailored to your specific needs. It's about $10 for cost.

The fall/early winter Is the time to prepare your soil for spring planting.

Another sample in the spring will confirm your soil is good, or needs additional treatments.

Thanks! I did that at the last place we lived, but not the current house. This past year, I tried doing "bucket" gardening since I don't really know how long we're going to live here... I think my main problem is that I'm not doing enough research on how to do it correctly...

Subprep, I've managed to kill off rosemary, so you are at least a step up from me! I've also killed english ivy that I had in college. My mom said that was nearly impossible unless I was watering it with round up... I have a serious black thumb! I guess I need to get a gardening book & start doing some serious studying on the matter. I'll start posting my gardening for dummies tidbits as I learn them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom