Home AC question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
14 year old electric heat pump system.
It has a slow leak that takes about 2 years to get low enough to freeze up. We just had it topped off a month ago, has been working fantastic.

About an hour ago I noticed our thermostat was reading 78, while being set on 71. I reached up and felt warm ish air. I turned the unit off, went up to the attic and checked and nothing was frozen up this time. I turned the unit back on and now it’s blowing ice cold, already back down to 74 and cooling,

I am lost, anyone have any idea what could be going on now?

I replaced the condenser fan thanks to a fellow OSAer, and also replaced the capacitor within the last 2 years. I plan on a new unit soon, but just curious what may cause it to not blow cold, then start again.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s 71 in here now. Guess I’ll wait and see what it does next time, maybe will give me a better idea.

On second thought.. I bet it’s the capacitor again, I’ll just replace it again tomo since it’s cheap.

Last edited:

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had this same thing happen, it was a stuck tcp valve, or something like that. I shut off the breakers and had a guy come look. Soon as I switched on the breaker it went to working. Guy was cool and didn't charge me a thing.... Said sometimes they get stuck and turning off the power to the unit let's the switch reset.

Latest posts

Top Bottom