Home defense for a senior citizen....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My mother-in-law lives kind of out of the way and is worried about a break-in when she's at home and my father-in-law is working. Dad has a pistol for self defense and a 12 ga. shotgun, but she has never touched them. She's older and somewhat slight so I'm hesitant to teach her the shotgun and the pistol is an old school revolver that I doubt she could pull the trigger on, much less handle the recoil due to arthritis. What do you think about a .410 ga. loaded with home defense rounds for her? A little Mossberg pump loaded with 000 buck or something like that?

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your idea of a .410 sounds the best. A double barrel loaded in the corner would be the best if their are no kiddos running around (short barrrel). .410 doubles are hard to find, but a 20ga with ultra light bird shot would be quite a deterrent and very easy to use.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i would try her on a .22. may be hard for her to rack the slide. depending on her weight and health, a 20 gauge could be a lot of kick and even a .410 could be a lot of kick for an older women, it just depends. the problem with .410 guns is that they can kick too for a small person because they are so light.

eellis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure how much recoil she can handle but I think the larger all steel Taurus judge loaded up with some 410 rnds might be a good choice pull the hammer back and wammo!

Latest posts

Top Bottom