I replaced a few shingles today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At my mom’s place.

What’s irritating is 2 separate companies came out and provided somewhat inflated quotes. I used one of the companies to replace my roof in 2016. They did a good job and was paid a crazy amount by my insurance, the other is a close friend of the family, who told me later they just didn’t have time.

My mother was happy to pay but after getting these quotes, neither would return her calls.

I told her I would do the repairs, but she didn’t want me on her roof because she didn’t want me to get hurt.

This has been going on since the crazy Father’s Day wind storm.

Anyway, I found her shingles and was on the roof at 12:15 this afternoon. It was 90 degrees, but the roof was to hot to touch.

It took me 20-30 minutes to remove the damaged shingles and about 20 minutes to replace those with the new shingles.

My mother told me her quotes were $500. That’s crazy. It took me less than an hour, and I am quite the amateur.

A professional probably could have done it in 20 minutes.

I have a lot of respect for those who get on a roof everyday, but 1000 an hour is highway robbery.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many shingles? No pics!!
Pics were the last thing on my mind doing this today. My concern was thinking about falling off the 24’ ladder, passing out from the heat or both.

I think I replaced about 10 shingles. Half of them were damaged by me trying to remove the storm damaged shingles.

It is supposed to rain tonight, otherwise I would have waited until tomorrow when it’s forecasted to be in the 80s.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several years ago, I had. GF who had a strong wind and some shingles were literally blown up on top of other shingles. I went up on the roof and found that several shingels were not nailed down at all and this was roofing company! I repaired/nailed the offending shingles but have never forgotten the fact that "professionals" failed to do their job properly.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My next door neighbor just had a new roof put on. They finished up yesterday about 2:00. They showed up and and got started Thursday at daylight and worked all the way to dark. How anyone can go 14+ hours, most of it at 110 heat index is something I don't understand. They did a complete tear off, sheathed the entire deck, and had most of the underlayment on Thursday night, so Friday they had a short day. Every one of their trucks and one car had Texas plates on them. Crew of six.

When I had mine done they tore off two layers of shingles and it was gone by 10:30 in the morning but they had 12 guys working on mine. It was completely finished in about 12 hours. I literally couldn't do that work even when I was young. I did a little during summer before I got out of school and figured out quickly that wasn't what I wanted to do. Money was good, but NOPE...

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With some skill sets and/or trades you pay for the ability of the craftsman to get the job done correctly and efficiently. Would you as a craftsman in the trade only charge an hourly rate plus materials if you went in knowing it would only take you 20 minutes? You're paying for the guys years of experience, abilities and knowledge. If you don't want to pay for this, hope you're handy and can get it done.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pics were the last thing on my mind doing this today. My concern was thinking about falling off the 24’ ladder, passing out from the heat or both.

I think I replaced about 10 shingles. Half of them were damaged by me trying to remove the storm damaged shingles.

It is supposed to rain tonight, otherwise I would have waited until tomorrow when it’s forecasted to be in the 80s.
If I had to be on a 24’ ladder, I’d have a $500 minimum!!!

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With some skill sets and/or trades you pay for the ability of the craftsman to get the job done correctly and efficiently. Would you as a craftsman in the trade only charge an hourly rate plus materials if you went in knowing it would only take you 20 minutes? You're paying for the guys years of experience, abilities and knowledge. If you don't want to pay for this, hope you're handy and can get it done.
The issue is they wouldn’t do the work even after provided a greatly inflated quote.

I got it done. And yes, I would say I fall in the handy category, maybe not the swampratt level though. He’s more creative than I am.

Yes, I agree, some skills do demand great compensation and or tools, like pipeline welders or airline mechanics. Replacing a few shingles doesn’t take years of experience, much ability or knowledge. If you can drive a nail, you can replace a few shingles. There are millions of illegals, just off of the free bydun relocation flights, replacing roofs everyday that have none of that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom