Home defense for a senior citizen....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can of wasp spray by front and back doors...has about a 15' range, burns like hell, and gives her time to get to the highly recommended .410 shotty.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.410 is not a serious defensive cartridge. I'd arm my own mother/mother-in-law with a rifle if she couldn't run a proper scattergun...a decent pump or lever action rifle can be had for your stated budget and will be much more lethal than a .410.

That being said I would focus on mindset and physical barriers before I started getting into caliber/gauge discussions. Does she truly understand the threat? Is the home setup to maximize deterrence and minimize the opportunity for a home invader etc...?

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
9 shot 22 revolver Or the simplest 410 you can find, stay away from .22 semi-auto IMO. My grandma uses a 22 for HD, most b&e folks aren't going to take the time figure out what caliber is headed their way. Plus my grandma lives in town, a couples cracks from a .22 is going to bring the nosey neighbors out in a hurry.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the idea of a SxS shotgun. Maybe a 20 gauge. Find a good old Stevens with the barrels cut right past 18". I don't know about you guys but I'd run from a women who had a double barrel pointed in my general direction.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can of wasp spray by front and back doors...has about a 15' range, burns like hell, and gives her time to get to the highly recommended .410 shotty.
I like this idea..for general around the house /shop deterrent...maybe not lethal (idont know that i would want to get sprayd with it)..but definatly get their attention...Yea I like that

Latest posts

Top Bottom