I replaced a few shingles today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The issue is they wouldn’t do the work even after provided a greatly inflated quote.

I got it done. And yes, I would say I fall in the handy category, maybe not the swampratt level though. He’s more creative than I am.

Yes, I agree, some skills do demand great compensation and or tools, like pipeline welders or airline mechanics. Replacing a few shingles doesn’t take years of experience, much ability or knowledge. If you can drive a nail, you can replace a few shingles. There are millions of illegals, just off of the free bydun relocation flights, replacing roofs everyday that have none of that.
Everyone is so busy right now, it’s going to take a while to get to everyone.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The issue is they wouldn’t do the work even after provided a greatly inflated quote.

I got it done. And yes, I would say I fall in the handy category, maybe not the swampratt level though. He’s more creative than I am.

Yes, I agree, some skills do demand great compensation and or tools, like pipeline welders or airline mechanics. Replacing a few shingles doesn’t take years of experience, much ability or knowledge. If you can drive a nail, you can replace a few shingles. There are millions of illegals, just off of the free bydun relocation flights, replacing roofs everyday that have none of that.
when I was contracting HVAC jobs when anyone implied I was charging too much I would decline to do the work. don't need problem customers when there are plenty that understand trucks ,tools .insurance ,taxes, labor ,utilities etc all cost money and I had to cover all that and still make a profit

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when I was contracting HVAC jobs when anyone implied I was charging too much I would decline to do the work. don't need problem customers when there are plenty that understand trucks ,tools .insurance ,taxes, labor ,utilities etc all cost money and I had to cover all that and still make a profit
Yeah, after my post I thought HVAC techs should have been included, with mechanics and welders. There are many more.

My mom didn’t complain at all. I think because it’s a single female, they thought they could charge more.

Did you take advantage of certain demographics? I don’t think so, but there are those who will and do.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, after my post I thought HVAC techs should have been included, with mechanics and welders. There are many more.

My mom didn’t complain at all. I think because it’s a single female, they thought they could charge more.

Did you take advantage of certain demographics? I don’t think so, but there are those who will and do.
I charged whats it's worth to me not what it's worth to you . I can sit on the couch in the air conditioning and not make any money , why would I want to sweat my balls off at your house and not make any money?

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I charged whats it's worth to me not what it's worth to you . I can sit on the couch in the air conditioning and not make any money , why would I want to swear my balls off at your house and not make any money?
I’ve been self employed for 25 years, and I always say if I want to go broke it’ll be sitting home on the couch and not running up and down the road, burning gas, and wearing out my equipment.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At my mom’s place.

What’s irritating is 2 separate companies came out and provided somewhat inflated quotes. I used one of the companies to replace my roof in 2016. They did a good job and was paid a crazy amount by my insurance, the other is a close friend of the family, who told me later they just didn’t have time.

My mother was happy to pay but after getting these quotes, neither would return her calls.

I told her I would do the repairs, but she didn’t want me on her roof because she didn’t want me to get hurt.

This has been going on since the crazy Father’s Day wind storm.

Anyway, I found her shingles and was on the roof at 12:15 this afternoon. It was 90 degrees, but the roof was to hot to touch.

It took me 20-30 minutes to remove the damaged shingles and about 20 minutes to replace those with the new shingles.

My mother told me her quotes were $500. That’s crazy. It took me less than an hour, and I am quite the amateur.

A professional probably could have done it in 20 minutes.

I have a lot of respect for those who get on a roof everyday, but 1000 an hour is highway robbery.
Some people are just plain greedy. Others go on to try and justify it.

When a company can make 15,000 in a day reroofing a house, going out for a $500 job isn’t worth their time. I think part of the reason they said $500 is they didn’t want the job or think anyone would go ahead and say yes.

Sounds like you are a good son and I bet your mothers is appreciative of you.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I charged whats it's worth to me not what it's worth to you . I can sit on the couch in the air conditioning and not make any money , why would I want to sweat my balls off at your house and not make any money?
I gotcha, you don’t discriminate. Always provide pricing up front? If that’s the case, there’s no issues.

Latest posts

Top Bottom