Home defense for a senior citizen....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everybody! We're going to size up a few pump shotguns and even a few pistols this weekend.

In this case my vote goes to a hands down easy to manage gun. In that arena for HD, nothing beats an M1 Carbine. They're short, very light, have almost no recoil, the bolt is very easy to retract, the trigger is very manageable, the capacity is generous (15+) and it packs a punch equivalent to a .357mag. You can choose to store it with an empty chamber with the safety off, or a loaded chamber with the safety on. Making it ready to fire will be no more difficult than any other gun a person with a small build or infirmities (even future infirmities) could manage.

As for their budget, what about yours? If they're your loved ones (or someone loved by someone you love), it's a good deed to help set them up. The gun will come back to you eventually, and the positive effect you generate will be very much appreciated. I don't have very many loved ones in my life any more, but for those that remain, my gun safe is open for their needs. Just a thought.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
How about a Ruger Single Six .22 Magnum? Cock the hammer and pull the trigger!

They are making some pretty impressive .22 Magnum self defense loads now.

G

Granny2Syl

Hope you find a suitable weapon that she is comfortable with. I am also a senior lady. What I have found that suits me is:
1. double barrel, 16 gauge, Stevens. with a sissy pad.
2. Rossie, 357, lever action, with a sissy pad.
3. S&W 38, chiefs special

shooter226

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
the 410 revolvers kick a lot. I would recomend a 20 double with buckshot. The pumps are hard to operate and the semi is complicated. The doubles just take of the saftey and shoot. I would not use bird shot for self defense.
Mark

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, we're still not there, folks. She's putting off the decision until summer it seems. (Or the next murder that gets her all upset in the news.) It's a little frustrating but this actually happens a lot in my family. Someone gets all excited about getting a gun, comes to me for advice or assistance, we start getting down to brass tacks and committing to the decision, then it's "Weeelllllllllllllllll, I'm not quite ready yet." So I'll back off and when she's ready to actually defend herself, I'll be more than happy to teach her. I'll let everyone know what she finally decides on. Again, thanks for the great input from everybody!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom