Home Owner's Insurance & Ammo Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with home owner's insurance that prohibits storage of more than a certain amount of ammunition or reloading supplies?

This happened to a family I know. They suffered a fire in their home, which didn't involve the husband's [large] supply of ammunition at all; but the insurance assessor noticed it while he was inspecting the damage, and mentioned it in his report. The insurance company immediately denied the family's claim, on the grounds that their policy restricted the quantity of ammo that could be stored in the insured building. It didn't matter that the ammo wasn't involved in the fire in any way - the insurers were adamant that its mere presence was sufficient to render the policy null and void. Since the policy document did, indeed, include such a clause, the family's lawyer advised that their chances of successfully challenging their insurers in court were not good. Accordingly, he refused to take the case on a contingency basis - if they wanted to sue, they'd have to pay his fees up front. They ended up having to shell out almost $30,000 in repair costs, out of their own resources.)

You need to check all such laws, rules, regulations and conditions (and, if necessary, move to a new residence to avoid onerous condo/HOA/landlord's conditions of occupation, or switch to a more accommodating insurance company) before starting to build up your ammo stash. This applies particularly to rented accommodation and/or to a multi-dwelling building. If your ammunition stocks contribute to the destruction of other people's property, and/or are the cause of others being fined for a violation of the fire code or having an insurance claim denied on the grounds of a policy violation, rest assured - you will be sued to recover every cent!
http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-much-ammunition-is-enough.html

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen it discussed on other forums in the past and all indications are "read the fine print" in your policy. Possible harm to firefighters is also a issue involved.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done a little work with Homeowners insurance in the distant past and I've never heard of this provision. The "victims" of this decision should demand of the insurance company a specific denial of coverage referencing the provision applicable. If they don't get it, they should go directly to the State of Oklahoma Insurance Department and lodge a complaint.

Fireman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
To my knowledge, under fire conditions, loose ammo or ammo stored in a box is not a physical threat to firefighters. However, from my experience, it has the ability to make you wanna **** your pants. Loaded guns or large quantities of gunpowder are a different story.

m4man27

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like another confirmation that insurance companies are in it only to make money and not to protect the insured. Insurance is one of the few businesses that if the profits aren't as much as the previous year they raise rates or cut services.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took a arson course once that had a section about ammunition being in a fire, and a insurance agent on the H&H forum discussed this last year...the real danger to firemen is ammunition chambered in a gun cooking off because it is just about like pulling the trigger... and if it is a semi-auto it can keep cycling until the magazine is empty. Loose ammo doesn't have anything to help compress or concentrate the powder blast so it isn't much more than a big firecracker going off. The bullet pops out of the brass a little like a cork out of a champaign bottle. Still something to be concerned about.. but not nearly as dangerous as a chambered round cooking off.

Fireman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took a arson course once that had a section about ammunition being in a fire, and a insurance agent on the H&H forum discussed this last year...the real danger to firemen is ammunition chambered in a gun cooking off because it is just about like pulling the trigger... and if it is a semi-auto it can keep cycling until the magazine is empty. Loose ammo doesn't have anything to help compress or concentrate the powder blast so it isn't much more than a big firecracker going off. The bullet pops out of the brass a little like a cork out of a champaign bottle. Still something to be concerned about.. but not nearly as dangerous as a chambered round cooking off.

^ This

Latest posts

Top Bottom