Hornady L-N-L

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok I too am in the market for a press and am curious, you stated that you had trouble with the lee auto powder drop, what issues? and you said you found a smokin deal on the LNL care to share? thanks

I found a smokin deal on the Auto Charge not the press, but there was only 1 of them. I got it for $179.

The problem I had with the Lee was that when I was loading .300BLK the powder would drop all along the side of it making a mess and an inaccurate powder drop. I had this problem with any real fine powder and it was really annoying.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started reloading with a Lyman t mag turret press. I quickly realized the slight speed I gained was not worth the compromise in accuracy in my rifle rounds. If you are only planning on reloading pistol ammunition this isn't a problem. I gave my Lyman away and purchased the AP and single stage. It wasn't long before my friend gave the press away and got the same setup. I like your plan of starting with the single stage. It keeps things simple as you learn.

I am sure I will end up keeping the single stage for pulling bullets and other light tasks like load building later on when I have the money to order the AP.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a L-N-L AP, so far I just load .45. I never liked the primer installer part of it, sort of glitchy. I've read that if you tinker with it you can get working, but the push motion needed to work the primer install hurts my elbow, so I use a RCBS manual primer press.
I also use the powder check die.

Overall I like it.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I will end up getting an AP at some point in the new year. I am pretty much done buying guns right now and more focused on getting brass and other components to reload. Last night when I ordered the Classic single stage L-N-L I literally only paid $17 out of pocket between discounts and gift cards (that includes the shell holder, and the hornady bullet puller). I grabbed the Auto Charge after reading reviews and watching some youtube videos about it, I figured for $179 shipped it was worth it. The only thing I still need to get is the L-N-L bushings for easy swap out, I have everything else I need for now.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive been reloading since 1980.
I did many thousands of rounds on a single stage RCBS.
Finally went to the Hornady LNL
I love it. Couple thousand pistol rounds each year, along with .223, .243WSSM, 30.06, .270, and others. Caliber change over is 5 minutes, if you have different powder measures that are previously calibrated. If not add 25 minutes to put the new one on and run some loads across the powder scales.

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found a smokin deal on the Auto Charge not the press, but there was only 1 of them. I got it for $179.

The problem I had with the Lee was that when I was loading .300BLK the powder would drop all along the side of it making a mess and an inaccurate powder drop. I had this problem with any real fine powder and it was really annoying.

thanks for the info. i am looking at the lee right now, going to make a decission this week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom