House Sparrows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These little bastards are rippin on my bird feeder, cleaning it out in just 2 days and most of the feed is kicked out on the patio. Usually I get finches or Cardinals at certain times of the year and they dont kick the food out and the feeder will last for a couple weeks before it needs refilled.
Is there a deterrent I can use to keep these rodent Sparrows away from the feeder?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
They are considered invasive and not protected in any way. You might need to use some imagination within city limits though.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't really have any good ideas to keep them away and I've tried.
It's legal to kill House Sparrows as they're an invasive species and will kill, destroy eggs and babies of native species.
Most bird watching websites say to just kill them. There are sparrow traps, people drown 'em, gas 'em, pop their necks, what ever.
The most fun is shooting with my pellet gun tho the little bastids don't stay in one place very long.
I end up pulling their nests out of our martin houses about once a week.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1681935011090.png

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't really have any good ideas to keep them away and I've tried.
It's legal to kill House Sparrows as they're an invasive species and will kill, destroy eggs and babies of native species.
Most bird watching websites say to just kill them. There are sparrow traps, people drown 'em, gas 'em, pop their necks, what ever.
The most fun is shooting with my pellet gun tho the little bastids don't stay in one place very long.
I end up pulling their nests out of our martin houses about once a week.
I used to have a Martin house and it was a constant battle to keep their nest out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom