How about a 44 mag 4-inch for Alaska?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dranes

New to the site!
Reaction score
What a great forum. As a new member I've benefited from reading many posts, and now want to ask advice. I go to Alaska back country each summer with my 3 sons, 2 of which carry 44 mags. I want to buy a 44 for grizzly protection. Would appreciate any advice on gun selection and where to buy. I live in NE Oklahoma.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably as good as anything that's not a rifle or shotgun, and those aren't always practical to carry around. Only things better may be a .454, .460, .48- Ruger, or .500 but those are not always easy to find or feed.

I think anything 40 or larger will end up working about equally well (or poor, depending on your perceptions of handgun usage on bears).

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .44 Mag (and the .45 Colt for that matter) have worked well against big bears for years. Its not a rifle or shotgun...or a .500 S&W for that matter, but it will get the job done. I think it's a great choice, remember accuracy is everything.

The Rugers are going to be one of the strongest options out there. Either the Redhawk or Super Blackhawk...most people seem to lean toward a DA for defense. I'm pretty comfortable with the SA. Another great choice would be a S&W Mountain Gun. Obviously make sure the load is safe for your gun....but a heavy, solid bullet like a 300 gr Keith loaded hot would be the way to go IMO.

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wondering how a judge would be with the new 410 slugs or alternate buck and 45 lc?

Poor, it is not a good performer to start with on man sized targets. 410 is not particularly peppy even with slugs, 45 Colt is pretty gutless unless loaded for and shot through Rugers/Contenders.

In AK you are talking about BIG animals that might be trying to eat you. The only way to reliably stop them is to not rely on the kinetic energy or perceived knockdown power but rather the cartridges ability to reliably penetrate several feet of meat and bone to "break down" the aggressive animal through broken bones or CNS hits. To get to major bones that would disable the animal or central nervous system hits on a 1000lb bear you may be looking at 2-4' of meat and bones before your bullet reaches those areas. Myself I would do a 44 mag in a Redhawk at the least loaded with a 300+ grain gaschecked hardcast bullets cast out of wheel weigh alloy and oven hardened to 28-30BHN pushed to 1400-1500 fps. It is very possible to get excellent results with a Ruger and a fist full of H110 or Lil' Gun.

Good luck to you.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
45 Colt Buffalo Bore are 305 grain h/c flat nose at 1100 fps.Over 1000 lbs. of energy.Good bear medicine.There are better but it will work.44 mag is 300 grain at similar fps and gtg also.Do not buy the S&W M29,its not strong enough for these loads.Get a Ruger or ,better yet,Freedom Arms. Steve

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
45 Colt Buffalo Bore are 305 grain h/c flat nose at 1100 fps.Over 1000 lbs. of energy.

It makies my handies hurt. Shot some through my 4" Redhawk. I don't like recoil.

Get a Ruger or ,better yet,Freedom Arms.

BLASPHEMY!!! Bite your tounge.

I love my 4" Hawk in .45 LC. I would carry it with hardcast in bear country. 99.% because it would make me feel better, not because I think I could save myself from a grizz with it. If worse comes to worse, it weighs a metric shi*ton, beat the bear about the face while he eats your other arm.

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_033_1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom