Are forums like OSA becoming a thing of the past?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I closed out my Facebook account about a year or so ago. Got sick and tired of the drama. Nowadays, I am a member of only two forums: this one and Glocktalk and I'm only on Glocktalk for the classifieds. You wanna talk about a bunch of crybabies and uptight bitches, spend a little time over there.

I've been a member here at OSA for roughly 17 years. I've seen a lot of good members come and go, some that I've met in person more than once, and became friends with. I've also met some that wasn't worth batshit and was happy to see them go.

The younger generation will always wanna shake things up. Hell, I did it, most everybody does. But a lot of times we always return to our roots and what we learned from the OGs.

I love OSA. It's my home. I welcome new members and I miss older members that pass or just lose interest for whatever reason and leave. But it's my happy place. :thumb:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I never signed up for facebook or anything like it. I don't feel like Im missing out on anything. My wife can't stay off of it. It seems like a look how great my life is platform more than anything.
You only join the groups you want to join, you only have to accept friend requests from who you wish to see content from. It's really no different than OSA. The historical and auto groups and other specialty groups alone are worth it for me. Been on there for 10y, you join only what you want, you can block who you want, again no different than OSA.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I closed out my Facebook account about a year or so ago. Got sick and tired of the drama. Nowadays, I am a member of only two forums: this one and Glocktalk and I'm only on Glocktalk for the classifieds. You wanna talk about a bunch of crybabies and uptight bitches, spend a little time over there.

I've been a member here at OSA for roughly 17 years. I've seen a lot of good members come and go, some that I've met in person more than once, and became friends with. I've also met some that wasn't worth batshit and was happy to see them go.

The younger generation will always wanna shake things up. Hell, I did it, most everybody does. But a lot of times we always return to our roots and what we learned from the OGs.

I love OSA. It's my home. I welcome new members and I miss older members that pass or just lose interest for whatever reason and leave. But it's my happy place. :thumb:
Now that is something you don't see on FB, someone admit that they are old haha 😀

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My duck hunting and other outdoor boards are all but dead. Very few new members and posts are all but rare.

ShotgunWorld is full of grumps, I can see how younger people get turned off by the attitudes and snobbery you see on that one. What, you don’t own a $10,000 Perazzi or Zoli and are considering a Mossberg? You don’t shoot 20,000 rounds a year? You must be a peasant.

I am still in the camp the whole computer and internet is a fad. J/K.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are they dying? Hell yes they are. Mostly from long term forum members that berate or are just jerks to newer members. Thankfully this forum doesn’t have a ton of that anymore (it did for a while) but try going to a place like Trapshooters.com and ask a basic newbie question and watch there either be a non response, being told to search, or being talked down too. The leadership and moderators are dying off and at the same time chasing off the next group. these forums are being killed by the custodians tasked with keeping them alive.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to be on a bunch of different forums for my different hobbies/interests. I was on a bunch of gun forums, rc car/plane forums, photography, and different car forums. This is the only one that I'm on anymore at all. Most of that has to do with kind of dropping those hobbies.

I was a member of a bunch of different gun forums, but they just got kind of boring to me. I stay on this one mainly because it's local and I can often find threads that interest me. What I have found lately, though, is that the bickering and b8tching that has been going on over the last year or so has really been turning me off of the place. I've nearly left numerous times because I just get tired of the whole "get off my lawn" old, crotchety b8tching and whining that has been prevalent in a lot of threads. But then, the RickN lawn mower drive comes around and makes me think that some of you aren't all that bad. 😁

Embarrassingly, I'm still on Facebook, all day, everyday. Mostly because I use it to keep in contact with friends that I don't really hang out with that much, but would still like to keep them in my life. If it weren't for Facebook, a lot of the friends/acquaintances I had in school would have disappeared from my life completely. I don't know if that's good or bad, but I'm glad that they are there thanks to Facebook. That being said, I freaking hate the platform. Especially when any sort of election comes around. Talk about finding out how much you dislike someone.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, people that were ******* and ***** here years ago are still b*tches and c*nts here now, so I am not surprised if places like this are circling the drain.

I think there are 2 problems here:

1. Everyone wants to be special. You are only special to your Mommie. It amazes me that some of you guys are in your 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s and STILL believe with all your hearts you are more special-er just because Mommie said so. 🤔🤔🤔🤔

2. Everybody is an expert and nobody knows what the everloving **** they are talking about. Well ... Except "you" of course. There's a reason I rarely post in the "serious" forums here -- you know, the ones about how to do this, that or the other with your gun. Or what guns can do this -- or that -- or whether Glocks are better or worse than XDs ... I learned a lot about guns when I worked at H&H. A LOT. But ... Even though I'm fairly knowledgeable about firearms (thank you to ALL the guys who took the time to school me) I know without a shadow of a doubt that most of the guys here have forgotten more about guns than I will EVER know ...

Now ... You wanna talk about fabrics and tailoring and pattern making, I'm your girl ... But this forum is not for that subject matter so ... I will just continue to read and learn. And again, thank you to the guys who know what they are talking about, for sharing your knowledge. I appreciate it more than you will ever know.

This (and at least more than a few other forums out there) are GREAT places to hang out while your old man watches his tv shows in the evening. Especially if you aren't quite ready for bed but are done with your "reading for learning" for the day. BUT ...

If you are a sensitive little **** who needs their ego stroked constantly ... Well ... I'm gonna guess that forums, in general, just aren't the most enjoyable way for you to spend your time.**

**Not "you" as in "'you' specifically" but "you" as in "'you' as a member of the general population of that truly strange and unusual species known as homo sapiens" ... Cuz I hate to hurt anyone's feelings ... 😘

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think there are 2 problems here:

1. Everyone wants to be special. You are only special to your Mommie. It amazes me that some of you guys are in your 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s and STILL believe with all your hearts you are more special-er just because Mommie said so. 🤔🤔🤔🤔

2. Everybody is an expert and nobody knows what the everloving **** they are talking about. Well ... Except "you" of course. There's a reason I rarely post in the "serious" forums here -- you know, the ones about how to do this, that or the other with your gun. Or what guns can do this -- or that -- or whether Glocks are better or worse than XDs ... I learned a lot about guns when I worked at H&H. A LOT. But ... Even though I'm fairly knowledgeable about firearms (thank you to ALL the guys who took the time to school me) I know without a shadow of a doubt that most of the guys here have forgotten more about guns than I will EVER know ...

Now ... You wanna talk about fabrics and tailoring and pattern making, I'm your girl ... But this forum is not for that subject matter so ... I will just continue to read and learn. And again, thank you to the guys who know what they are talking about, for sharing your knowledge. I appreciate it more than you will ever know.

This (and at least more than a few other forums out there) are GREAT places to hang out while your old man watches his tv shows in the evening. Especially if you aren't quite ready for bed but are done with your "reading for learning" for the day. BUT ...

If you are a sensitive little **** who needs their ego stroked constantly ... Well ... I'm gonna guess that forums, in general, just aren't the most enjoyable way for you to spend your time.**

**Not "you" as in "'you' specifically" but "you" as in "'you' as a member of the general population of that truly strange and unusual species known as homo sapiens" ... Cuz I hate to hurt anyone's feelings ... 😘

200w.gif

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Other than a couple of RV forums, I'm only on OSA and Glock Talk, and in my case on Glock Talk, I pretty much stay on one "very long thread" entitled "Photos Taken by Members."

I signed up here in 2009.

Latest posts

Top Bottom