How an Ebola Patient Dies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoLee1868

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
How an Ebola Patient Dies
So with the Ebola outbreak being so widely covered by the news thought I'd write up something on what the patient (pt) goes through. It is crazy. The news doesn't portray just how awful the death is these patients experience. (not trying to debate the relevance of world-wide spread paranoia. Just wanted to portray something not shared in mainstream media)

Summarized with personal commentary from the book
“The Hot Zone” by Richard Preston
^ I cant recommend it enough if you are interested in the true story of an Ebola outbreak and the government response to try and contain its spread.

• Day 7
o So around day 7 after the initial virus exposure, the virus has replicated and spread enough throughout the body for the symptoms begin.
o It starts as a band-like headache with eye throbbing.

• Day 10 and onward
o The pt begins to get nauseated with vomiting. A fever spikes.
o The vomiting starts as extremely intense and turns into dry heaves as the body has no more contents to expel.
o The pt face begins to lose its personalization and signs of life. It turns into an expressionless mask. With the eyelids drooping the eyeballs become fixed with a “1000 yard stare” and microvascular hemorrhages turn the white of the eyes red with blood
o The patient develops the yellow-tinged skin associated with jaundice. Small, star-like speckles begin to appear on the skin as the body begins to experience micro-hemorrhage throughout.
o The patient becomes “zombie-like”. The virus is replicating at an alarming rate and spreading rapidly from cell to cell of the host victim. The brain parenchyma is being affected and the former personality of the patient is being taken over. The once highly functional being that use to be the patient, is being reverted to a animalistic shell with the sole purpose of staying alive long enough for the virus to replicate and then, when the moment is right, leave and find a new victim.
o As the body works feverishly to stop the systemic micro-hemorrhages, the clotting factors used to stop the bleeding are used up and can’t be replenished by the invaded and mal-functioning liver.
o With the body unable to clot, the patient begins to drip, cough, and vomit blood. The eyes become ruby red with blood. The “vomit negro”, or the “black vomit” has begun. The black is made of two components, the blood is bright red and arterial, the black specs are loaded with infectious virus, trying to escape and find its new host. But it isn’t really trying hard yet.
o What started as small star-like speckles have expanded into huge purple hematomas. The expressive facial muscles that once reflected the vibrant life of the individual transformed from being fixed to now drooping and appear to be hanging off the bone. The connective tissue is being dissolved.
o Internally, the already wrecked homeostasis has collapsed. The clots that had formed throughout the body are now dislodging and causing embolitic clots everywhere; the liver, kidneys, lungs, hands, feet, head…..the pt is having a body-wide stroke. The blood supply to the intestine is being cut off and begins to go ischemic and die.
o The brain at this point is experiencing an ischemic hell. The patient doesn’t even experience pain anymore and the personality, memories, and overall function is being wiped away and literally liquefied. Now, only the deepest parts of the brain and brain stem are functioning, the bare essentials to keep the body “alive” for the virus. This part of the disease process is called “depersonalization”.
o The bleeding is profuse now; there is nothing the body can do now to stop the bleeding.
o Socially, the patient cant form words any longer. They don’t want to be touched, they don’t want interaction. They are unaware of their surroundings. They may know their name but can’t explain anything else.
o The patient is quite literally a walking virus bomb at this point. The hemorrhaging has caused the stomach to be distended with viral blood.

• The Viral Bomb Explodes
o The last phase of the virus consists of the virus’ major attempt to finding a new host, and the final sacrifice of the victim. Biohazard experts refer to this as the patient “crashed and bled out” or “gone down”
o The pt becomes dizzy and weak from the combination of hypovolemia, tissue destruction, and unimaginable systemic imbalance. The spine goes limp and the patient goes into shock, collapsing.
o The patient begins to choke on this blood. There is a sound like a bed sheet being torn in half. That is the sound of the bowels tearing opening and venting blood as the intestinal lining sloughs off.
o Virus dense Blood pours from literally every orifice and the virus is ready to find a new host as the host has finally succumbed to the viral occupation. Now just for a route to a persons system.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Didn't the Soviets attempt to make the virus an airborne threat during the Cold War and run into roadblocks?

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If it were airborne, or transmitted some way other than direct contact with infected or their bodily fluids, I would worry.

If it mutates to one of those forms, God help us.

JoLee1868

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't the Soviets attempt to make the virus an airborne threat during the Cold War and run into roadblocks?

Reguarding specifically the Ebola virus it wasnt first discovered until 1976 in Africa, SO it could be entirely possible for the USSR to try and work with it as a biochemical warfare agent. I'm not aware of any such studies, but wouldnt be surprised at all if attempted it! We have labs reproducing the 1918 Influenza strain and vials of smallpox being found in storage closets unlabeled. Nothing would surprise me at this point haha.

If it were airborne, or transmitted some way other than direct contact with infected or their bodily fluids, I would worry.

If it mutates to one of those forms, God help us.

This is how i feel. The problem with Africa is the sanitation techniques, eating 'bushmeat' consisting of monkeys which are known carriers, and how burial ceremonies are performed. All consist of touching blood/saliva of infected carriers. Just by performing the above techniques in 1st world countries like the US/UK we can prevent much of the spread (not even adding in our resources for patient isolation).

if it becomes airborne, that is a problem

Can a mosquito carry it?

I dont think there is any evidence or concern about this currently as the most understood method of transmission is through direct contact. I know with the AIDS virus it has been studied that mosquitos can carry the virus. However, the virus can not replicate in the mosquito and there has not been any evidence of it transmission of AIDS through mosquito bites. Granted it is a completely different virus but I think it is a great example of how simply being blood borne doesnt mean a mosquito can/will trasmit it.

The Ebola Virus is the Genus name for species of specific Ebola based on their discovered location (i.e the Zaire Ebolavirus Strain, first discovered in Zaire and is the most deadly species) is from the Viral family 'Filoviridae' and is one of the newest and least understood families of virus' known. So I'm not sure with certainty that anyone can say definitively that it is not. That is one of the reasons the treatments and prevention of the virus itself simply evolves around proper sanitation techniques and isolation.

And now it's in the U.S.

I would love to read more on the Doctor that was transported over here and the process that involved. I know they took every precautionary technique imaginable.....BUT I would have little desire to sit in the back of the ambulance with that guy as we take a road trip to some level 4 isolation room. (heck, being a paramedic i hated sitting back there when people were coughing, let alone bleeding Ebola)

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The doc was on his deathbed, literally dying, and they gave him the super-secret experimental vaccine. It stopped all the progression, and he was able to walk a day later. The second infected American improved, but not on the same level as the doc. That is why they brought them here, to study them.

IF the NYC patient tests positive for Ebola, it will be the first stateside case and that will likely lead to more. We shall see.

Latest posts

Top Bottom