How are your savings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is the amount you have saved gone up or down since 2020?

• Up

Votes: 45 62.5%
  • Down

Votes: 27 37.5%

• Total voters

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to blessings from above, a good job, Army pension, and being relatively frugal (value oriented) the current administration has not yet stopped me from adding to the ole' nest egg. But, the "chicks" in it sure ain't growing like they used to. Been worried about myself, cause I have not bought any guns or ammo since May!
You all probably knew I was joking about being worried about a pause in my sporting goods purchases, I’m just out of storage space. What does have the potential to make the family savings go down is paying for the kids’ college (assuming all three will attend at least 4 years). I turned 62 last week (retirement eligible age), and a kid will start college in 2024, 2025, and 2028, so I’ll probably be about 71 when the last one graduates. The wife and I have put a bit away in 529 accounts for each, every month from birth or right after, so most good-value colleges will likely be covered. Going to encourage them to have “skin in the game” by working, and/or a graduation “bonus” if they get academic scholarships and spare me from depleting their 529s. The eldest is less than a month away from turning 18 and has been saving most of his Chick-fil-A income. Am planning on helping him set up a Roth IRA before the end of the year, so he can (hopefully) see that grow and maybe he’ll maintain his good habits.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
You don't live with my wife. She thinks savings are going to go with her to the next life I guess and keeps dumping money in there. Haven't looked at it in a couple of years until yesterday. I need to get a whole lot more reckless with our retirement money.
My Dad’s philosophy was “you never see an armored car following a hearse”.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People always talk about finding the Genie and rubbing the lamp for wishes. I think I already rubbed the lamp and only made one wish --- to always have what I needed. That's the way my life has turned out!! Maybe it was having the money I needed, when I needed it. Maybe it was having fewer needs at the time. Maybe it was a little of both.

Is my life perfect? No. However, there's not much that I would have done differently.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People always talk about finding the Genie and rubbing the lamp for wishes. I think I already rubbed the lamp and only made one wish --- to always have what I needed. . . .However, there's not much that I would have done differently.
I’ll bet you would have used those other wishes. I know I sure as hell would have 😂😂😂

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well heck it sounds like lots of ya ole’ farts are doing pretty well in retirement. That’s good. Y’all worked hard, made good decisions, and it paid off.

Any of y’all who love to stack up the savings and don’t have any heirs feel free to PM me. I could be the dream son you never had! Lol

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well heck it sounds like lots of ya ole’ farts are doing pretty well in retirement. That’s good. Y’all worked hard, made good decisions, and it paid off.

Any of y’all who love to stack up the savings and don’t have any heirs feel free to PM me. I could be the dream son you never had! Lol
I have no one to leave mine too. Divorced, no kids and my siblings darn sure aint getting it.
Kinda sad really but it is what it is.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no one to leave mine too. Divorced, no kids and my siblings darn sure aint getting it.
Kinda sad really but it is what it is.
Well, you don’t live far from me. I tend to like your attitude and most of what you post, so maybe it’s fate! Do you still need that shower grab rail job looked at? Haha

In all seriousness though I’m just kidding around and not looking for money from people. Wife and I are doing “ok” and god willing plan to better as we keep moving forward.

My father happens to be one of y’all boomers who climbed the company ladder, invests wisely, saves, pays off everything he owns, excellent retirement/pension coming his way when he retires in 2 years. Etc. The man taught me a lot about work ethic.

We grew up broke as hell though… he didn’t start making the big bucks till after us kids moved out. I have 2 siblings, but when he passes away there should be a sizable inheritance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom