How are your savings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is the amount you have saved gone up or down since 2020?

• Up

Votes: 45 62.5%
  • Down

Votes: 27 37.5%

• Total voters

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1694480153528.jpg

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But people are keeping their vehicles longer now and the mileage is pretty high by the time they are ready to trade for a new car. Things aren't like they used to be, some people are trying to stretch the dollar.
Shop upper end brands like Acura, Infinity, Buick, etc. NOT BMW, Mercedes, or Audi

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fences are only worth it if you replace it yourself. You can rent a TwoMex (skid steer) from Homo Depot for about $300 to dig the post holes quickly. Then three bags of concrete per post, about 9.00, the post (4x6, instead of 4x4 because of Oklahoma wind) at about $30.00, then you just pop up some 2x4s for the cross beams and start tacking on the slats. If you rent a nail gun too you can be done in two weekends - mainly because you need to let the concrete set. Make sure to hill it up too so it's taller than the ground or your post will rot right at ground level.
Coat the post below ground with roofing tar as well as about 2" above ground, paying special attention to the end grain that will suck water up into post.
We did this when building a deck over 30 years ago that I tore down this spring. The 4X4 posts in the ground looked brand new after breaking away the concrete while those above the ground were at the end of pressure treated wood life span.
Why did I break away the concrete? Because I had rented a track hoe with a concrete breaker to bust up the concrete around the pool that was also removed. It made disposal easier.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our take home is more in retirement than it was working and our living expenses are well below that income
Same here. With the max SS, times two, retirement 401K, times two, Military disability, oil and gas royalties and farm leases, life is good.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing people seem to miss is that when you are retired, you no longer have savings contributions. So if you made $100k a years and put $20k in savings, in theory you would only need $80k to stay current. Pending other expenses remain similar.
You don't live with my wife. She thinks savings are going to go with her to the next life I guess and keeps dumping money in there. Haven't looked at it in a couple of years until yesterday. I need to get a whole lot more reckless with our retirement money.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't live with my wife. She thinks savings are going to go with her to the next life I guess and keeps dumping money in there. Haven't looked at it in a couple of years until yesterday. I need to get a whole lot more reckless with our retirement money.
I just had the same talk with my wife. We don't have a lot of money, we have enough, we aren't in your class, I've seen the RV and I thought it was the Taj Mahal, until I saw the wheels. But as long as there aren't any flare ups with my alcohol or gambling addictions, we'll be ok. I told her we had to up our standard of living, I said we could even go to New Mexico in the summer for a month (heat has been kicking my butt) and she said, "are you out of your lithium?" And then it happened, I said " we could even get an RV," Now my wife is no camper, so I got the look, and then she said "why don't you call tomorrow and see if you can get an emergency session booked." But I was flying high, I had your RV in my mind, but I knew I'd end up with a 1968 Jayco, screen door held on by 1 hinge and a propane tank so rusted out it might blow any minute. But for a few minutes, I was Dennis.

Latest posts

Top Bottom