How are your stocks doing now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Checked mine this morning. The portfolio (used loosely) back to the all time high and up about 6% overall for year to date. Talk about a big swing from high to low due to the Covid scare. I saw a 22% drop from 2/27 to 3/25 then it started to recover.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing I just can't understand is how the worse the news gets the more the stock market gains. It appears the economy and the stock market are now completely detached. I'm guessing the gov and central banks have completely taken over the markets.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was down big in my energy stuff like XOM and MPC, but I've seen quite a bit of bounce back.

I bought OKE, DOW, CSCO, and AVGO... and added to my share of NVDA. Up big in all those names except AVGO.

Tech pretty much brushed off Covid19. Keep an eye on those 5G stocks. :D

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
401k is about back to pre-dip levels down about 0.5% currently. rIRA is a little more aggressive but it is also about even YTD.

Fun money account is healthy. Added to TSLA long position when it got gobbled up shorts (lol @ you) and I'm sitting pretty now. Made some good runs on AMD options (and equity positions) since they are dunking all over Intel and punishing them for stiffling the chip market.

If anything, this should have been a good learning experience for the younger investors that while it looks bleak up front, if you truly park it and forget about (with little micro managing) things will turn out ok. Just ask the people in 2008.

There's probably some money to be made playing around in tech, pharm and O&G if you are quick on gun.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The thing I just can't understand is how the worse the news gets the more the stock market gains. It appears the economy and the stock market are now completely detached. I'm guessing the gov and central banks have completely taken over the markets.
There is a disconnect between what the media wants you to believe and think and real life. We would be in a scorched earth scenario if the fake news was real. The media mainly reports negative news that they hope improve their ratings. They have ignored the positive and boring reality. People that watch cnn are those who don’t want I leave their house because Covid or now the cops will kill them. It’s a bunch of bs.

The market is a leading indicator of the economy. Essentially, investors believe the economy will grow and improve at this point. There was a lot of money dumped into the economy and people were not spending it. Savings increase over 30% due to the stimulus.

One thing I have learned is the market increases due to the value of the dollar dropping, inflation. It’s because company’s profits increase due to raising prices and profits. But in real terms, profits are not increasing much when compared to the value of the dollar.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's probably some money to be made playing around in tech, pharm and O&G if you are quick on gun.

No lie there.... Pharm especially. I have some ARWR in a "fun money" account as you call it. But some of the big boys don't look too bad. I always get burned on them though.

Charlie S

Marksman
Reaction score
I use the stock market as a less biased indicator of how things are going. If something on the news says it's the literal end of days I check the market and it's usually meh, so no worries from me. Not counting today I have made back 80% from March lows.

Latest posts

Top Bottom