How do I make her understand?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You sure you don't mean "Law Abiding Citizen"?

Sorry, I wish I had the answer to your question. I have the same problem. I can't figure out how she just doesn't get it.

Dang it your right. Its the first movie I've watched in many years. The opening was brutal.

When we were dating, about 21 years ago, she shot my .22 pistol one day about 4 times, and that was it.
I am on the range committee of our local rifle and pistol club. We put on a lady's only course last year, and tried to get her to attend, but she wouldn't. She did shoot my .38 Smith and Wesson a couple of years ago at an armadillo one evening when I was on the road in another city. I thought that might get her fired up, but it didn't.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know that she needs to be a fighter. She does need to know that 1) you do not have to talk to/respond to people on the street and that 2) you do not have to open the door.

BTW, a favorite trick in Houston a few years ago was to watch the peep hole in the door. When the room behind the home owner is lit, ane they look through the peep, it darkens the peep- and the BG kicks the door in the HO's face. A door jam is a good, cheap investment.
http://www.amazon.com/Home-Security-Door-Jam-Bar/dp/B0019BEENS

The VAMC PX has/had these for $10.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I Tell My Wife That If Anyone Ever Enters The House To Not Run Towards Me Or Them But Instead To Shut The Door To The Bedroom And Grab The Shotgun And Or Handgun Then Offer Assistance From A Distance After Calling 911 First.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know that she needs to be a fighter. She does need to know that 1) you do not have to talk to/respond to people on the street and that 2) you do not have to open the door.

I'd have to respectfully disagree.

You don't have to open a door for bad guys to come in. Doors can be easily kicked in, windows broken, etc..

If someone wants into your house badly enough they can get in.

Having a plan, and developing skills for everyone in the family is needed.

Now your right that the plan may not be for her to come and render aid to you in a fight in your home, the plan may be for her to barricade herself somewhere with a gun and simply call the cops.

But the point being, its something that should be discussed and agreed upon. Even more importantly though, is that the SKILLS to be able to carry out and survive that plan needs to be taught and practiced.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't remember where I saw the quote but one I like is, "You will not rise to the occasion, you will fall back on your level of training"

I get tired of friends whose wives are "comfortable" with the guns in the house, when what they need is for them to be confident with the weapons at hand. I tried to use a bit of "scare tactics" for lack of a better phrase. Just by pointing out what a bad guy could/would do to her and the kids made her maternal instincts kick in. Some women just have the lay down and die mentality, I don't know how to get rid of it other than maybe scare it out, and then teach them how to overcome the fear you have instilled.

I know for myself, as a man, and as a father, the idea of being helpless while my family was destroyed, was one of the primary motivations for the way I train, and maybe more importantly, the way I have trained myself to think.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I Tell My Wife That If Anyone Ever Enters The House To Not Run Towards Me Or Them But Instead To Shut The Door To The Bedroom And Grab The Shotgun And Or Handgun Then Offer Assistance From A Distance After Calling 911 First
This. She has the cordless landline(my preference when calling 911)and her cell on her nightstand and her bedroom is the farthest corner of the house and her sanctuary after work- thats where she always is after dinner to sleepy time. My kids too- they have cellphones and closets.

Jholmes

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like Law abiding citizen. Great Movie!

I recommend signing her up for a one hour personal lesson at H&H. The lesson, gun rental and Ammo will be around $50. Make sure they start her on a .22. This is what I did for my wife and it worked out extremely well.
Ask for Dean, he taught both my wife and my daughter.

It took almost 3 years to get her from not wanting anything to do with guns to where she is today. She owns several of her own and also has her concealed carry license. She shoots everything we own and is not afraid or intimidated by any of them.

She has taken several defensive handgun courses and is getting ready to start shooting USPSA with me next month.

She even went to Project Appleseed with me last weekend and shot pretty well.

Good luck!

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Innocent Man....great movie

Lesson one. Don't answer the door unarmed.

Lesson two. Teach her not to run towards danger unarmed

Based on the scenerio from the movie even if you had a gun in your hand when you answered the door you would have met the same fate.

You are correct you do not have to fight. It is better to run and be alive. Running is a good idea in a situation like this. If one adult is overpowered the other needs to grab the kid and go. Remove yourself from the danger. By locking the bedroom door you are just prolonging the danger. Unless they are highly motivated most criminals will not chase you out of the house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom