How do I revmoe round top bolts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have some bolts I need to remove. They are round top (not rounded/stripped) possibly concrete anchors. My fancy mail box got knocked over and I need to remove the base. There are four round top bolts holding the base into the concrete. I want to reuse the concrete when i get a new mail box but am unsure how to go about the removal. Any suggestions? I looked on ye olde google and could not find much for other than rounded top bolts.

Thanks

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can try using a wheel to cut a slot in the top of them and then backing them out like screws or an easy out.

If you don't need to run anything back down the spot just take the heads off.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a portable welder, weld a nut to them and use an impact gun or wrench to back them out. You can gas weld too with an oxy/fuel torch if you know how.

A picture would be of great help.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Guys it sounds like the bolts are in concrete and wants them out. They likely used 4 or 6 in for anchors on a base to hold up the mailbox.
Sack of quick Crete is what? 3.95? Im a cheap ass but damn dude

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guys it sounds like the bolts are in concrete and wants them out. They likely used 4 or 6 in for anchors on a base to hold up the mailbox.
Sack of quick Crete is what? 3.95? Im a cheap ass but damn dude

Kind of what I was thinking when asking for pics. The installer didn't care if they ever came out or not. Was wondering if there was any masonry around it that might make it more expensive to replace.

300WSM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like they might be carriage bolts holding it to something else covered in concrete. Probably cant turn them because the square part under the head is in a square hole in the base of the mailbox.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I am thinking they are carriage bolts with some sort of J-hook or plate in the concrete. You are most likely looking at cutting them off and starting from scratch. IF you really don't want or can't dig out the concrete, you should be able to drill new holes and install some lags and lag bolts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom