I really do hate these wrenches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost 20 years ago, Son-in-Law was working contract maintenance in refineries. He was using some of my wrenches and buying his own every payday.

He was looking at SNAP On, but out of his affordable comfort zone. His boss told him and every other guy that the Popular Mechanics brand at Walmart was made by SNAP On and had lifetime warranty.

He is still using those wrenches.

May or may not be SNAP On, but they are / were good tools.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The first thing I do when buying any ratchet is to take the back off and lightly pack it with grease. I don't know what the factories use, but it's dry, has no viscosity and is like a paste.
One ratchet that failed me and it was an old Craftsman.
In my hand tool buying day's everything was Proto Professional, Rigid, Milwaukee and so on.
Now there are some other brands that seem to be pretty decent. I'm impressed with the Kobalt 1/2" impact gun. It's broken some tractor lugs without any problem that haven't been off for many years.
I hate to admit it, but some of the Harbor Freight tools have stepped up in quality and I have a few.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Husky hand tools, warranty for life.

I have seen the product testing lab where Husky tools are tested against other brand tools, if they fail before the tool being tested against fails, the tool is sent back to be redesigned.
I unfortunately have purchased a few Husky tools. Most of them have not broken but have rusted after losing their chrome by flaking off. I do not use tools on a daily basis either. The tools just get bounced around on the toolboxes while I'm driving.

I did purchase two Huskey toolboxes because I had to. I was saving up for the US General 72 inch toolbox set. Due to the Biden economy and the fact the US Generals were not available because they were discontinued by the time I was ready to purchase, I was forced to buy Huskey. I didn't like the Huskey 72 inch boxes because of several reasons.

It was only a week later that US General, Harbor Freight, came out with their new 72 inch boxes but still no top toolbox to fit it. Within a month the top box arrived at the stores. Again, due to the economy, they were twice what I would have paid a year and a half ago.

I am happy with my Huskey boxes and the modifications I made to them. They are both 56 inchers and had a power strip you could install on their sides. I modified a backsplash and incorporated the power strips into the backsplashes.
IMG_3594.JPG

Finally! all my sockets in one drawer!

IMG_3597.JPG

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I unfortunately have purchased a few Husky tools. Most of them have not broken but have rusted after losing their chrome by flaking off. I do not use tools on a daily basis either. The tools just get bounced around on the toolboxes while I'm driving.

I did purchase two Huskey toolboxes because I had to. I was saving up for the US General 72 inch toolbox set. Due to the Biden economy and the fact the US Generals were not available because they were discontinued by the time I was ready to purchase, I was forced to buy Huskey. I didn't like the Huskey 72 inch boxes because of several reasons.

It was only a week later that US General, Harbor Freight, came out with their new 72 inch boxes but still no top toolbox to fit it. Within a month the top box arrived at the stores. Again, due to the economy, they were twice what I would have paid a year and a half ago.

I am happy with my Huskey boxes and the modifications I made to them. They are both 56 inchers and had a power strip you could install on their sides. I modified a backsplash and incorporated the power strips into the backsplashes.
View attachment 406553
Finally! all my sockets in one drawer!

View attachment 406554
Picked up a display HF red 56" bottom tool box for $350 out the door when they introduced version #2.....can't tell the difference, other than the fancier US General nameplate. Got the matching upper tool chest for under $250 about six months later. It had been purchased by a young aspiring mechanic who immediately lost his job and returned it......good as new, just no box. Had already purchased two of the red 26" upper tool chests for $159 each to go atop of the 56" bottom, as they have several more drawers less deep for hand tools, not wasting as much volume. Mated the 56" top and bottom units, 26" boxes on back of second work bench. Hand tool storage rich at great pricing. Use Goodwill purchased ($10-$20 each) 36"W x 18"D x 78"H metal twin door cabinets for larger equipment storage. Organization are Me.....

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Grabbed an old Taiwanese ratchet today. Working on an old bush hog. Wife was helping, could not budge a bolt. I grabbed the ratchet and turned anti clockwise. Bolt broke loose and came off. Handed the ratchet to Wife. Started to walk away and she asked me to look at the ratchet. Was it always like this? I looked. Bent about 30 degrees and I did not even notice it. Still works but maybe not for breaking things loose. Pulled out some breaker bars for the rest. Proto and old Craftsman. Zero issues.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are absolutely correct...

...I've only had one, and I married her over 54 years and 8 months ago.
Had a few more than one, less than a dozen. Messed up the selection process badly once, divorced that one at the 8 year point, because I am stubborn. Remarried and we celebrated our 41st anniversary middle of last month. And she doesn't object to me buying good wrenches. Or air compressors. And she bought me a restorable South Bend Heavy 10L lathe for Christmas a few years ago. Pretty sure I'm going to keep her as long as I can. :)

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just because their "guaranteed for life" doesn't mean their not cheap Chinese crap. Damn near EVERYTHING is now. They know most people won't bother with the "guarantee" or won't save their receipt. I think even Craftsman are made in China now! If we ever get in a "hot" war with China every store in America will have nothing on the shelves. We're already in a full blown "Cold War" with China in case anyone on here only watches mainstream news and we're in a "Proxy War" with Russia AND China in that Ukraine cluster foxtrot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom