I really do hate these wrenches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to get my newer truck back up, minor repairs. Wife grabbed my box with the good tools ( Proto, Plomb, SnapOn, old craftsman). Left me with remaining tools. Several brands including habour freight. Trying to find ratchets, grabbed a nice looking one which was well used. No namebrand. It would not hold and just spun back and forth. Recycle bin. Looked in my stash and saw what looked like a brand new ratchet. No marks, pristine. Well, let us try it! Set to remove, first turn ok, ratchet back, the black plastic guide has slipped to center. Yep, holds for first push, ratchet back, it goes back to center. Look again, junksman. Wonder if lowes will warranty? Went back to loose tools and found two really old Plomb ratchets. Both work very well, wish I had more!!!

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished some maintenance on my tractor and brush hog and used some Craftsman sockets and ratchet I bought new in 1983 as a young homeowner. My 3/8" broke about 4 years ago and I was able to walk into the little Sears neighborhood store in Lewiston, ID and replace it. All the other pieces are still in great shape.

The new 3/8" ratchet is not up to the standards of the old Craftsman tools, that's for sure. I've stopped using it unless absolutely necessary and started using a GearWrench as my go to 3/8" drive.

It's depressing watching the downfall of this great country.

I did order an American-made Cox Chilton caulking gun. Can't wait to get it. I need something user friendly to caulk/seal this new building.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had decent luck with Napa brand ratchets, but those are almost 20 years old now. Craftsman ratchets of the last 20 years were never real good to me, nor Mac brand honestly. SnapOn makes good ones but you pay for them for sure. Atwoods used to sell a MIT brand tool that was not bad, but don't see them any longer at our local store.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The ICON stuff a Harbor Freight looks really nice. I like Kobalt and Milwaukee is coming out with some nice hand tools now too. I've been geeking out on this stuff lately and even Proto and SK is made in China or overseas somewhere these days. If it comes from Taiwan like Kobalt and I think Husky and Milwaukee, it's usually pretty good from what I can tell from reading a bazillion reviews and test videos on Youtube. These days it's about getting replacements when they break, because they probably are gonna break.

If I were buying a bunch of stuff new today I'd take a hard look at ICON.

Latest posts

Top Bottom